Three Indians crash into Bangladesh territory, heldDecember 27th, 2011 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Dec 27 (IANS) In a bizarre accident, three Indian men in a speeding car crashed into a checkpost on Bangladesh border, Tripura Police said here Tuesday. They were arrested by Bangladeshi police for entering the territory illegally.
“Bimal Debbarma, Sushanta Debbarma and Amarjit Debbarma - all aged between 26-29 years and engineers - under the influence of alcohol, shortly past midnight Monday, decided to visit Bangladesh through Akhaurah checkpost, near here,” a police spokesman said.
The police official said that the Indian trio took the Border Security Force (BSF) troopers, who were posted at the checkpost, by surprise when they whizzed past and wrecked a barricade before entering into Bangladesh territory.
Quoting BSF sources, police said the Bangladeshi police Tuesday presented the men, one of them a Tripura government employee, at a local court in Akhaurah in Bangladesh and the court sent them to judicial custody for 14 days.
Surrounded by international borders on almost all sides, Tripura shares 856 km border with Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh frees three Indians after seven months - Aug 14, 2012
- India, Bangladesh border guards exchange saplings (With Image) - Aug 19, 2012
- Bangladesh Border Guard held after killing Indian - Jan 20, 2012
- Bangladesh border guard held after killing Indian (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Bangladeshi bandit killed in Tripura - Mar 29, 2012
- 12 Bangladeshis held in Tripura - Sep 14, 2011
- Indian's killing: Bangladesh given custody of border guard - Jan 21, 2012
- Bangladeshi, trooper caught in Tripura handed back - Jul 06, 2012
- 13 Bangladeshis arrested in Tripura - Jun 22, 2012
- 13 Bangladeshis held in Tripura - Sep 18, 2011
- Bangladeshi nationals held in Agartala - Mar 17, 2011
- India returns Bangladeshi jumbo - May 20, 2012
- Traders strike in India hits Indo-Bangla trade - Dec 19, 2011
- Militant killed in Tripura - Jul 22, 2012
- Man killed in BSF firing in Tripura - May 31, 2012
Tags: alcohol, amarjit, bangladesh, barricade, bizarre accident, border security force, crash, government employee, indian men, indians, international borders, judicial custody, local court, police official, police spokesman, speeding car, surprise, tripura government