Three held with antique idolsOctober 24th, 2011 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 24 (IANS) Three people have been arrested here with two 200-year-old idols of Lord Krishna worth about Rs.4 crore, police said Monday.
Atiar Rehman Sheikh, 27, Firoz Sheikh, 32 and Abdulla Mandal, 39, all from South 24 Parganas district in West Bengal, were arrested Sunday while they were going to sell the idols to a dealer in south Delhi, Deputy Commissioner of Police Chhaya Sharma said.
Archeological Survey of India (ASI) officials, who inspected the idols, confirmed the pieces were antique ‘ashtadhatu’ (made of eight metals) idols, Sharma said.
Atiar, leader of the gang, was living in Delhi and Gurgaon in Haryana for the last 10 years.
He had contacted an antiques dealer in West Bengal named Mushraff and asked him for the idols.
Mushraff then sent Firoz and Abdulla to Delhi with the consignment.
Police said that preliminary investigations suggest that Mushraff procured the idols from temples in Rajasthan or Madhya Pradesh.
A team has been dispatched to West Bengal to nab Mushraff.
- Two arrested with antique idols - Jul 08, 2011
- Four arrested with Rs.5 crore antique Buddha idol - Mar 23, 2011
- Two held for smuggling of antique idols - Sep 10, 2011
- Bengal hooch tragedy prime suspect surrenders - Jan 16, 2012
- Two arrested while trying to sell antique idol - May 10, 2010
- Six held for bid to sell antique idol in Delhi - May 29, 2010
- Delhi Police seize antique statue - May 10, 2010
- Bengal hooch tragedy prime suspect surrenders (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Four arrested for Bengal hooch tragedy (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Antique worth Rs.1 crore seized - Mar 18, 2010
- Man arrested with Buddha idol worth Rs.3 crore - Jul 16, 2010
- Three Indian fishermen killed by Bangladeshi pirates - Jan 28, 2012
- Three arrested in hooch tragedy case - Dec 25, 2011
- Two held with antique idol worth Rs.20 mn - Feb 09, 2011
- Idol smugglers arrested in West Bengal - Nov 25, 2008
Tags: 10 years, abdulla, antiques dealer, archeological survey of india, chhaya, commissioner of police, crore, deputy commissioner, gurgaon, haryana, investigations, lord krishna, madhya pradesh, metals, New Delhi, rajasthan, rehman, south delhi, temples, west bengal