Three held in Bengal for forcing woman to foetus sex testAugust 7th, 2012 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 7 (IANS) Three in-laws of a pregnant woman in West Bengal were arrested on a police complaint that she was tortured and pressurised by them to go for a pre-natal sex determination test, police said Tuesday.
The 29-year-old housewife, Ranjana Prasad, along with her husband Rabindra Prasad had lodged the complaint before the Bally police station in Howrah district Aug 2, following which her father-in-law Govind Prasad, mother-in-law Savitri and brother-in-law Ram Jatan Prasad were arrested.
The police, however, are still in dark about the medical centre where Ranjana was forced to undergo the test at an earlier occasion in 2010.
“We have arrested three people in the case and the probe is on. The hospital where she underwent the test earlier is still to be identified,” Howrah Deputy Commissioner (Headquarters) Nishat Pervez said.
Ranjana’s husband Rabindra Prasad lodged the complaint after the woman was seriously beaten up by her in-laws after she refused to go for the test.
The complaint also alleged that Ranjana was forced to take the test in 2010 and subsequently made to abort after the results showed it was a baby girl.
The woman who had given birth to a girl in 2009 and conceived for a third time in November 2011, was allegedly being tortured and pressurised to undergo another sex determination test.
- Three held for forcing woman to foetus sex test (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Delhi woman killed by in-laws, husband - May 05, 2012
- Husband facilitates wife's gang rape in Bengal, absconding - Mar 23, 2012
- Borther cries foul, woman unable to bear boy child dies - Oct 20, 2011
- Woman commits suicide, six held in dowry case - Jun 14, 2012
- Woman killed for dowry - Aug 21, 2010
- CRPF trooper's wife found dead, dowry case filed - May 25, 2012
- Woman jumps off Mumbai building with son, four held (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- In-laws booked for Mumbai triple suicide (Lead) - Mar 12, 2011
- Delhi woman commits suicide - May 13, 2012
- Driven by superstition, they dig out dead woman's body - Jun 06, 2011
- Arrested for rape, Asiad gold medallist Pinki presented in court - Jun 15, 2012
- Woman sets herself ablaze over dowry harassment - Jun 25, 2011
- Married woman commits suicide, in-laws booked - Jan 28, 2012
- Asiad gold medallist sent to judicial custody for 'rape' (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: aug 2, baby girl, bally, deputy commissioner, howrah district, jatan, medical centre, mother in law, nishat, old housewife, pervez, police complaint, police station, prasad, pregnant woman, savitri, sex determination, sex test, third time, west bengal