Three held for stealing money from IIT accountsNovember 15th, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 15 (IANS) Three men who used forged cheques to withdraw around Rs.34 lakh from the bank accounts of Indian Institute of Technology Delhi have been arrested, police said Tuesday.
Ajay Kumar Kashyap, Ashu Kumar and Vipin Kumar, all in the 20s, were nabbed following a complaint from IIT’s Deputy Registrar M.K. Gulati Nov 1 that there were illegal withdrawals from the bank accounts.
A fourth suspect is on the run.
According to Deputy Commissioner of Police Chhaya Sharma, Kashyap was arrested Nov 10 near the institute. A second man was trapped in Muradnagar in Uttar Pradesh and in Sitaram Bazar in north Delhi respectively.
Gulati told police that on Oct 19 he found that Rs 9.75 lakh was debited from the institute’s account in Canara Bank though the institute had cancelled the cheque it had issued.
Gulati also found that three unauthorized cheques for Rs.9.75 lakh, Rs.7.75 lakh and Rs.7.15 lakh had been debited from IIT’s Punjab National Bank account.
Police got the breakthrough when Vishal Kumar, who had supposedly stood surety for the fake IIT account, denied any role in the crime. He said he had given his bank passbook to Kashyap for taking a car loan.
The arrested men told police that they opened the fictitious accounts with fake identities provided by Kashyap.
Vipin earlier worked in a courier company and used to steal cheques and pass them on to Kashyap. These were encashed.
Vipin spent money thus earned on the marriage of his sister while Kashyap bought a plot of land worth Rs.8 lakh in Muradnagar.
- Three held for fraud using fake cheques - Dec 28, 2011
- Two held for cheating, impersonation - Jul 01, 2012
- Fake I-T refunds racket cracked - Apr 16, 2012
- Eight held for credit card fraud - Oct 20, 2011
- CBI arrests three for defrauding bank - Jul 09, 2010
- 'Bollywood inspired' student held for forgery - Mar 06, 2011
- Former bank staff held for fraud - Nov 07, 2011
- Three held for forgery - May 23, 2011
- Over Rs.60 lakh withdrawn fraudulently from Air Force's public fund - Aug 17, 2010
- Former bank employees arrested for cheating - Feb 03, 2012
- Over Rs.60 lakh fraudulently withdrawn from IAF's fund - Aug 17, 2010
- Couple held for duping NRIs, elderly - Feb 17, 2011
- Two arrested for selling fake gold biscuits in Delhi - May 10, 2012
- 95-year-old duped of over Rs.22 lakh - Oct 08, 2011
- Three held for cheating, launching fake companies - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: ajay kumar, ashu, commissioner of police, courier company, deputy commissioner, deputy registrar, fake identities, gulati, indian institute of technology, indian institute of technology delhi, kashyap, lakh, north delhi, passbook, plot of land, punjab national bank, second man, stealing money, vipin kumar, worth rs