Three held for smuggling animal partsFebruary 16th, 2009 - 1:06 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Feb 16 (IANS) Three people have been arrested in Uttar Pradesh’s Bahraich district for smuggling skins of wild animals. They are part of a racket operating out of Nepal, police alleged Monday.
“The three were nabbed Sunday from Ghagra locality in Bahraich along with skin of a leopard and several hyenas,” police inspector Vijay Kumar Yadav told IANS on phone.
The trio admitted that they have been working for wildlife smugglers based in Nepal for the last five years, the official said.
“They have been selling skins of wildlife animals in Nepal, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand among other places,” said Yadav.
According to the police, the three were involved in the smuggling of two tiger skins that were found in a suitcase last week in Rupaideehah locality in Bahraich, over 270 km from here.
“Apparently, they got information about our raid and left the suitcase behind that was later recovered by forest officials,” the official said.
A case under the Wildlife Protection Act has been registered against the men, he added.
Bahraich, where the Katarniyaghat forest range is located, is home to 54 tigers and 32 leopards, officials said.
- Five held with tiger, leopard skins - Feb 09, 2012
- Man-eater leopard trapped alive by wildlife enthusiast - Nov 18, 2011
- Woman mauled, killed by leopard - Mar 12, 2011
- Two arrested with tiger skins in Varanasi - Jun 11, 2011
- Officials face villagers' wrath over leopard attacks - Nov 09, 2011
- Woman killed by tiger in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 05, 2011
- Two arrested with leopard skin in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 16, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh villagers kill leopard for alleged trespassing into human settlement - Feb 21, 2010
- Two poachers held with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 27, 2010
- Two leopard cubs clubbed to death - Mar 13, 2011
- Leopard kills girl - Oct 25, 2011
- Leopard cub found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 13, 2011
- 3 held for killing spotted deer - Sep 04, 2009
- Poachers held with leopard skin - Feb 10, 2011
- Poacher held with tiger skins - Nov 17, 2010