Three held for killing youth protesting abuse of sisterFebruary 26th, 2011 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 26 (IANS) The three main accused in the killing of a youth, after he protested their abusive language against his sister, were arrested Saturday in West Bengal’s North 24 Parganas district, police said. Another man arrested earlier was freed after his innocence was proved. “Three people - Mithun Das, Manojit Biswas and Biswanath Chatterjee - were arrested early Saturday from Madhyamgram area in the district. They were the main accused in the case,” said state police’s Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID) Inspector General Anuj Sharma.
Rajib Das was severely beaten up by the three men when he protested their misbehaviour against his elder sister Rinku Das. He died of his injuries later.
“During preliminary investigation we got some clue and later based on the portraits of the assailants sketched by experts based on descriptions given by Rinku, the three were arrested. Three mobile phones were also recovered from them,” said Sharma.
The accused have confessed to their crime. Mithun was the main accused who stabbed Rajib. But the knife used in the crime and Rajib’s mobile are yet to be recovered.
However, Chandan Roy, who was arrested by the district police Feb 17 for his alleged involvement in the crime, was freed after it was found he was not involved.
“Even Rinku, after seeing Chandan, confirmed that he was not in the group of youths, who misbehaved with her,” said Sharma.
- Kolkata police yet to arrest two men for youth's killing - Feb 19, 2011
- One held for killing youth who protested sister's abusers - Feb 17, 2011
- Man held for murder sent to police custody - Feb 18, 2011
- Narayanan condemns killing of boy protesting eve-teasing - Feb 17, 2011
- Buddhadeb visits kin of youth killed by sister's abusers - Feb 16, 2011
- Youth killed for protesting abuse of sister - Feb 15, 2011
- Honour killing: Youth killed by girl's family - Jul 23, 2010
- Banned Manipuri outfit chief held for vehicle thefts in Delhi - Oct 23, 2011
- Two auto-lifters held in Delhi - Jan 28, 2011
- 100 men arrested in Kolkata for harassing women - Feb 19, 2011
- To fix wife, man fakes death, elopes with her lover's sister - Jun 11, 2011
- Four held for robbery in Delhi - Jul 18, 2012
- Odisha court orders boy to clean hospital area for theft - Apr 28, 2012
- Two arrested for giving SIM card to jailed bureaucrat - Jun 15, 2011
- Three arrested for robbing, killing man - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: abusive language, anuj sharma, assailants, biswas, chatterjee, clue, criminal investigation department, district police, elder sister, innocence, inspector general, misbehaviour, mithun, portraits, preliminary investigation, rajib, state police, three men, three mobile phones, west bengal