Three held for duping 500 people of Rs.50 lakhNovember 16th, 2011 - 11:02 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 16 (IANS) Three people, including a woman, were arrested in north Delhi for duping over 500 people from across the country of around Rs.50 lakh by promising them high returns by joining a scheme where they had to send bulk text messages to cell phone users, police said Wednesday.
Rashid Ahmed, 30, the kingpin, Balwant, 21, and Rakhi, 21, were arrested Tuesday from Rohini, said Deputy Commissioner of Police Chhaya Sharma.
They published advertisements in newspapers and lured people asking them to simply forward 100 text messages on a daily basis and earn Rs.45,000 per month.
They were held following a complaint by Ravinder, who after seeing an advertisement which promised Rs.15,000-Rs.30,000 per month, contacted them and deposited Rs.5,000 twice as registration money in a woman’s bank account at a branch at Lajpat Nagar in south Delhi.
She remained in contact with him for three-four days and then switched off her phone.
Ahmed told police that earlier he, along with his associates, was running a fake telecom tower installation company at Udaipur in Rajasthan.
- Five held for fake mobile tower offers - Apr 05, 2011
- Two arrested for duping people - Jan 01, 2012
- Duping racket busted, one arrested in Delhi - Jun 20, 2011
- Conman dupes by posing as cop, held - Jun 19, 2012
- Four held running fake maid placement bureau - May 26, 2011
- Man arrested for duping hundreds across India - Oct 15, 2011
- Cook held for sending lewd text messages to woman - Oct 21, 2011
- Man held for duping people with fake jobs - Oct 15, 2011
- IPL betting rackets busted, eight arrested (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Engineer arrested for rape, cheating - Sep 14, 2011
- Forget threads and beads - invest in gold, diamond rakhi (Feature) - Aug 12, 2011
- 'Condition of Delhi's street children hasn't improved' - May 26, 2012
- Five held for bank frauds in Delhi - Mar 11, 2011
- Man murdered for harassing newly-wed woman - Jul 14, 2012
- Man cheating people with aviation sector jobs arrested - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: ahmed, cell phone users, chhaya, commissioner of police, daily basis, deputy commissioner, kingpin, New Delhi, north delhi, rakhi, rashid, ravinder, registration money, rohini, rs 50, south delhi, telecom tower, text messages, tower installation, udaipur