Three Garo rebels surrender in MeghalayaJuly 24th, 2011 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, July 24 (IANS) Three rebels of the Garo National Liberation Army surrendered before the authorities Sunday at Baghmara in Meghalaya’s South Garo Hills district, police said.
Sonaram R. Marak, Changke R. Marak and Tekrok N. Sangma surrendered at Baghmara police station after escaping from a GNLA hideout deep inside Durama range in western Meghalaya, a police officer said.
The rebels, however, did not deposit any arms or ammunition while giving themselves up.
“The trio surrendered following pressure due to the ongoing combing operations against the GNLA militants in Garo Hills region,” Deputy Inspector of General of Police (Western Region) G.H.P. Raju told IANS.
The Meghalaya government has launched a massive crackdown against GNLA rebels in the three district of Garo Hills region.
Five companies of the Border Security Force and two units of CoBRA commandos have been deployed in Garo Hills to assist the state police in the crackdown.
The GNLA, one of the five Garo rebel groups, is fighting for a sovereign Garoland. It has forged an operational alliance with the United Liberation Front of Asom and the National Democratic Front of Bodoland.
- Four rebels surrender in Meghalaya - Aug 03, 2011
- GNLA-ULFA camp busted in Meghalaya - Jul 24, 2012
- Hunt on for Meghalaya rebels behind police killing - Nov 01, 2011
- Elite force to tackle Meghalaya rebels - Jul 10, 2011
- Police commando killed, rebel camp busted in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Garo rebel killed, camp busted - Feb 09, 2012
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- Meghalaya launches operation to rescue abducted exporter's son - Aug 31, 2012
- Meghalaya rebels set conditions for releasing official - Nov 23, 2011
- Rebels free Meghalaya official after 34 days - Dec 24, 2011
- Kidnapped engineers untraced, GNLA chief escapes (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Garo rebels attack police outpost - Jun 29, 2011
- Meghalaya examining GNLA activities ahead of ban - Jul 21, 2011
- Commados mistakenly kill two Meghalaya cops - Jul 03, 2011
- Garo rebels demand withdrawal of central forces - Aug 04, 2011
Tags: border security force, commandos, deputy inspector, district police, garo hills district, hideout, marak, massive crackdown, meghalaya, national democratic front, national liberation army, police station, raju, rebel groups, rebels, s south, shillong, state police, united liberation front, united liberation front of asom