Three found guilty of Aladi Aruna’s murderApril 16th, 2008 - 4:24 pm ICT by admin
Tirunelveli (Tamil Nadu), April 16 (IANS) A Tamil Nadu court Wednesday found three people guilty of killing former DMK minister Aladi Aruna in December 2004. The First Additional Sessions Court in Turunelveli, about 700 km south of Chennai, found Veldurai, P. Balamuragan and D. Azhagar guilty of murder and eight people guilty of conspiracy. The sentences will be announced Thursday.
Aruna, 70, and his friend Ponnusamy, a 45-year-old teacher, were killed in Nallur in Tirunelveli district early Dec 31, 2004 morning when they were taking a morning walk.
The first information report named 12 people as accused.
According to police, a gang attacked Aruna at the behest of local educationist and his friend S.A. Raja. Raja and Aruna had fallen out over setting up of educational institutions in the southern districts of Tamil Nadu. Accused Raja was arrested in January 2005 but got bail from the Supreme Court in July 2006.
- Two awarded death for former Tamil Nadu minister's murder - Apr 17, 2008
- Tamil Nadu legislator's election quashed on polling day - Apr 13, 2011
- Outgoing Tamil Nadu legislator's election quashed on voting day (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Three convicted for former Tamil Nadu minister's murder - Apr 16, 2008
- Raja meets DMK supporters near court lock-up - Feb 07, 2012
- Alagiri has not quit central government - Jan 05, 2011
- DMK supporters celebrate Raja's release - May 15, 2012
- Raja committed offence in active connivance with Chidambaram: Swamy (Roundup) - Dec 17, 2011
- Karunanidhi, Jayalalithaa lead - May 13, 2011
- Raja arrives in Chennai to massive welcome - Jun 08, 2012
- Situation calm in Kudankulam, more protestors arrested (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Raja gets bail, can't visit DoT or Tamil Nadu (Third Lead) - May 15, 2012
- DMK may not dump Raja -- immediately - Dec 08, 2010
- Raja, aides sent to custody for five days, DMK backs its man (Roundup) - Feb 03, 2011
- DMK backs Raja but remains wedded to Congress (Roundup) - Feb 03, 2011