Three foreigners held for assaulting cops in GoaMarch 23rd, 2009 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 23 (IANS) Three foreigners have been arrested for assaulting policemen trying to stop a rave party in a North Goa beach, the police said Monday.
The incident occurred at around 5.00 a.m. Sunday near Anjuna beach. The accused, arrested Sunday afternoon, were from Russia, Germany and Sweden.
Speaking to IANS, Superintendent of Police (North) Tony Fernandes said that the trio had been booked for playing loud music and assaulting police personnel.
“We received calls (about) a rave party at Ozrant, near Anjuna beach. When our team reached there, they were assaulted by the partying foreigners,” Fernandes said.
“Bottles were flung at our policemen and they were physically assaulted by a mob of party goers, which comprised of these three foreigners,” Fernandes said, adding that the police had to used batons to disperse the crowd that had assembled for the rave party.
Fernandes added the Goa Police would contact the state home ministry, seeking cancellation of the visas issued to the foreigners. “Assaulting police personnel is a serious crime,” Fernandes said.
The stretch of beach near Anjuna, along Goa’s northern coast, is a major hub for rave parties.
- Community service for tourists at Goa rave parties? - Jun 27, 2011
- Drug runners will shoot Goa chief minister soon: Congress legislator - Jan 12, 2010
- Please save Goa from drugs and garbage: German Goaphile (Letter from Goa) - Jun 23, 2012
- Chennai student arrested in Goa for possessing drugs - Aug 30, 2012
- December too 'hectic' for anti-drug raids: Goa police - Jan 10, 2010
- British man arrested for theft in Goa - Aug 12, 2012
- Delay in taking cop's statement in Scarlet case questioned - Apr 07, 2010
- 43 foreigners overstayed, 7 Nigerians missing: Goa minister - Mar 19, 2011
- Here comes Sri Sri to Goa - Sep 20, 2011
- Ban rave parties, says Goa woman legislator - Jul 22, 2010
- Central forces to guard Goa during tourist season - Dec 06, 2011
- IPL brought foreign culture, spoiling youths: Hazare - May 21, 2012
- Mumbai rave party organiser remanded to police custody (Lead) - May 21, 2012
- Facelift of two popular Goa beaches to cost Rs.10 crore - Mar 22, 2012
- Mumbai rave party busted, IPL players questioned - May 21, 2012