Three drug traffickers heldJuly 11th, 2011 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 11 (IANS) Three drug traffickers were arrested here in two separate incidents with contraband worth more than Rs.4 crore, police said Monday.
In the first case, Aslam, 42, and Mohammad Salamuddin, 30, were held from Shalimar Bagh in north Delhi July 8 following a tip-off, Deputy Commissioner of Police Ashok Chand said.
Police seized ten parcels of marijuana from the duo’s Maruti van.
The contraband was wrapped in polythene and covered with cloth. The drugs, weighing 105 kg, are worth Rs.5 lakh in the domestic market.
During interrogation, the duo told the police that they were in the trade since three years.
“Their contacts in Orissa sent marijuana in parcels through post to Delhi. In this case, the docket slip of General Post Office, Kashmere Gate, bearing Aslam’s name, was recovered from him,” said Chand.
In the second incident, police arrested Om Prakash, 48, from west Delhi July 9.
“We received information that drug traffickers would be coming to Kali Mata Mandir on Outer Ring Road in a Wagon-R car. We laid a trap and arrested Om Prakash. We recovered 40 kg opium worth Rs.4 crore from his possession,” said Chand.
During interrogation, Om Prakash told police that he and his brother cultivated opium in Mandsaur in Madhya Pradesh. “They cultivated opium on the lands of the farmers who had the licence to cultivate opium, but did not have the money. They then smuggled and sold it in the open market in Madhya Pradesh, Delhi, Punjab and Haryana,” said Chand.
- Farmer arrested with 12 kg opium in Delhi - Jun 27, 2012
- Four held with 221 kg of marijuana in Delhi - Apr 07, 2011
- Man held with opium - Apr 18, 2011
- Man held for drug trafficking - Sep 16, 2011
- Man held with 209 kg of marijuana - Feb 21, 2011
- One held with drugs - Nov 08, 2011
- Two held with opium in Delhi - Jun 02, 2012
- Three drug peddlers held - May 19, 2011
- Opium worth Rs.50 lakh seized, one held - Dec 30, 2010
- Two held with 104 kg of drug - Apr 19, 2011
- Four held, drugs worth Rs.1.39 crore seized - Oct 08, 2011
- Drugs worth Rs.93 lakh seized, four heldin Delhi - Jul 30, 2011
- Three held with 45 kg of opium - Jul 01, 2011
- Punjab Police book Rajasthan cop for smuggling - May 23, 2011
- Four arrested, 205 kg of ganja seized - May 31, 2011
Tags: ashok, chand, commissioner of police, deputy commissioner, drug traffickers, haryana, interrogation, lakh, mandir, mandsaur, maruti van, north delhi, opium, orissa, parcels, polythene, prakash, punjab, shalimar bagh, west delhi