Three die in Maharashtra after drinking ‘poisoned’ waterFebruary 23rd, 2008 - 10:15 pm ICT by admin
Akola (Maharashtra), Feb 23 (IANS) Three people including a 12-year-old boy have died after drinking water from a pond in Nimbi-Kosgaon village of Maharashtra, officials said Saturday. The deceased - Yamunabai Dakhore (65), Sindhu Thakre (40) and her son Gajanan Thakre (12) - quenched their thirst from the temporarily dug-up water source while returning home after collecting fuel-wood from the nearby forest close to here, village sources said.
While Yamunabai and Sindhu died in the Akola General Hospital late Friday night, Gajanan breathed his last Saturday afternoon, hospital sources said.
The post-mortem report revealed undigested food and a green, poisonous liquid from their viscera, district health officer Lanjewar told IANS quoting hospital authorities.
While no district council officer was available to give details, village sources surmised the tragedy could be a result of poisoning of the water source by some poacher.
“Incidents of poachers excavating sand along the river banks to create temporary ponds and sprinkling poison in the impounded water for wild animals are quite common,” a villager said, adding that the three might have consumed water from such a temporary water body.
“The viscera of the deceased have been sent for forensic tests and the report that could throw light on the nature of the poison mixed in the pond water is awaited,” Lanjewar said.
Additional District Superintendent of Police Padwal told IANS that he had been informed of the incident but did not have any further details.
- The disappearing ponds of Kashmir - Mar 13, 2012
- Pond revered by Hindus drying up in Pakistan - Apr 22, 2012
- Three bison found dead in Chhattisgarh - May 25, 2012
- Poaching, illness killing peacocks near Delhi - Aug 25, 2012
- Two panthers poached in Madhya Pradesh forest - Jun 26, 2009
- Rajasthan villagers toil to harvest rainwater (Letter from Rajasthan) - Jul 03, 2012
- Eloping couple commit suicide in Rajasthan - Aug 11, 2012
- No proof Uttarkhand's green crusader was poisoned: CBI - Dec 28, 2011
- Rajasthan couple tries to bury new born girl alive - Jul 03, 2012
- Bangladesh mass poisoning mystery solved by scientists - Nov 17, 2009
- INLD leader gunned down in Haryana - Feb 24, 2011
- 7 child labourers drown in Rajasthan - Apr 10, 2012
- Floods devastate villages in Maharashtra - Aug 01, 2010
- Rajasthan village keeps vigil on water pond - Apr 17, 2010
- Bank manager commits suicide in Punjab court - May 27, 2011