Three dead, dozens feared missing in Kashmir cloudburstJune 9th, 2011 - 11:14 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 9 (IANS) At least three people were killed and dozens feared missing after a cloudburst swept away a large portion of a highway in Jammu and Kashmir, police said Thursday.
According to police, the incident took place late Wednesday at Batote-Kishtwar Highway in Baggar area, about 140 km northeast of Jammu.
The a large portion of the highway, several roadside shops and vehicles were swept away due to the cloudburst. The vehicles and the portions of the road slided into a lake, making it difficult for the officials to ascertain the loss of life and property.
“The area has become inaccessible and it is very difficult to give an assessment of the loss at this time,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Doda) Farooq Khan told IANS over phone.
Army’s help has been sought to undertake the rescue operations, Khan added.
While three people are missing according to police, locals said there was no trace of dozens of them.
With a large stretch of the road having been washed away, there is no other road connectivity available. Hence, two mountainous districts of Doda and Kishtwar and nearly half a million people are cut off from the rest of the country.
- Kashmir's historic town soon to be history! - Jul 10, 2011
- Landslides block Batote-Kishtwar Highway - May 21, 2010
- Rain continues in Jammu, many trapped - Aug 05, 2012
- Doda, Kishtwar districts cut off, one feared killed - Feb 07, 2009
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Kashmir youth no longer swayed by militancy, says police - Mar 10, 2012
- Jammu-Srinagar highway opens for one-way traffic - Mar 05, 2011
- Kashmir cloudburst hits BSF camp, five rescued - Aug 22, 2012
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu, Himachal (Second Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Highway sinks in Doda, rescue work underway - Feb 08, 2009
- Manali-Rohtang Pass closed after cloudburst - Aug 04, 2012
- Actress Laila Khan killed with family, says stepfather - Jul 05, 2012
- Missing starlet's step father handed over to Maharashtra police - Jul 07, 2012
- Rains block Jammu-Srinagar highway, many stranded - Aug 22, 2012
- IED defused on Batote-Kishtawar Highway in Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 20, 2010
Tags: army, cloudburst, commissioner of police, dead dozens, deputy commissioner, doda, farooq khan, half a million, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kishtwar, large portion, least three people, locals, mountainous districts, police said thursday, rescue operations, time deputy