Three CRPF troopers killed, nine injured in Maoist attackFebruary 19th, 2009 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 19 (IANS) Three Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers were killed and nine others injured in a Maoist attack early Thursday morning in Chhattisgarh, police said.
The incident took place in the thickly forested Mahakal area of Kanker district, about 350 km from capital Raipur, in the state’s restive Bastar region.
“It was a Maoist ambush. The insurgents first triggered blasts and then opened indiscriminate fire on a joint patrolling team of the CRPF and the district force,” Pawan Deo, deputy inspector general of police, told IANS.
He said that the troopers belonged to the 111 CRPF battalion. The seven seriously injured men have been airlifted to Raipur while two were admitted to a hospital in Kanker.
Police officials said that a re-inforcement team of 100 policemen has reached the attack site within two hours of the incident even as the joint team was probably still engaged in a gunbattle with the guerrillas.
Chhattisgarh is one of the worst hit due to Maoist insurgency with nearly 1,250 people killed in attacks since 2004.
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- Two guerrillas gunned down in Chhattisgarh - Aug 25, 2012
- Maoists kill 26 security personnel in deadly Chhattisgarh attack (Night Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- CRPF trooper killed in Maoist attack - Sep 18, 2011
- Maoists attack police station in Chhattisgarh - Jun 13, 2011
- Maoists kill 26 in deadly Chattisgarh attack (Third Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh police station, no casualty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- 26 troopers killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists kill three policemen in Chhattisgarh - Mar 14, 2011
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Security forces kill 17 Maoists (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Maoists kill CRPF trooper in Chhattisgarh - Mar 26, 2012
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Maoists ambush security patrol in Chhattisgarh, kill five (Night Lead) - Aug 29, 2010