Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead)June 11th, 2011 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 11 (IANS) At least three Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers were killed and three injured Saturday in the third Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh in two days, police said.
The attack site at Bhejji, about 500 km from Raipur, is in Dantewada district, Director General of Police (DGP) Vishwa Ranjan told IANS.
A chopper that was sent from Dantewada town to the attack site airlifted the injured troopers to a government hospital at Jagdalpur town, headquarters of restive Bastar region. The injured soldiers have received bullet wounds in the legs.
Maoists attacked the CRPF men when they were inspecting a jungle site for a base camp at Bhejji for a possible relocation as the Supreme Court has ordered security personnel to vacate school buildings, said Ranjan who is in Bastar region after a deadly attack on the police force Thursday midnight.
The guerrillas decamped with weapons of the slain CRPF men and damaged approach roads to prevent reinforcements reaching the attack site. The police put the estimated number of the armed attackers at up to three dozen.
Some rebels were also reported to have been either killed or injured in the retaliatory firing by the CRPF personnel.
Maoists had carried out twin-attacks in the Bastar region Thursday. Five policemen were gunned down in Narayanpur district that morning. They struck again, killing 10 policemen around midnight in Dantewada district.
Maoist attacks in Chhattisgarh have surged in the past weeks. The rebels killed nine policemen in an ambush May 23 along the Chhattisgarh-Orissa border in Raipur district.
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh police station, no casualty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Maoists attack police station in Chhattisgarh - Jun 13, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- 10 Chhattisgarh cops killed in Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Two deadly attacks in Chhatttisgarh, 15 cops killed (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoists kill CRPF trooper in Chhattisgarh - Mar 26, 2012
- Five policemen killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attacks - Jun 27, 2011
- Maoists kill five security men in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- 10 securitymen die in Maoist landmine blast (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoists kill 26 security personnel in deadly Chhattisgarh attack (Night Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Maoists kill two cops in Chhattisgarh attack (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Security forces kill 17 Maoists (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- CRPF trooper killed in Maoist attack - Sep 18, 2011
- Maoists kill 26 in deadly Chattisgarh attack (Third Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
Tags: approach roads, armed attackers, bullet wounds, chopper, crpf, dgp, director general, district director, government hospital, guerrillas, maoist, maoists, orissa, police force, policemen, reinforcements, reserve police, school buildings, security personnel, vishwa ranjan