Three cops injured in attack by hawkers in West BengalOctober 2nd, 2008 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 2 (IANS) At least three police officers were injured and two police vans were set on fire Thursday by hawkers protesting their eviction from pavements in a West Bengal district.The incident took place at Midnapore town in West Midnapore district, about 80 km from Kolkata.
“The district administration and local municipality had earlier requested hawkers of Midnapore town to clear the pavements before Durga Puja. The police Thursday carried out a drive to evict illegal hawker shops in the town. The hawkers, protesting the eviction, clashed with the police,” said Rajesh Singh, the district police superintendent.
“The hawkers threw stones at the police personnel and set ablaze two police vehicles. Twelve hawkers have been arrested so far,” Singh added.
According to district sources, the situation in the town continues to remain tense.
“Additional police personnel have been deployed in the area. Personnel of the Rapid Action Force (RAF) are also patrolling the area,” the official said.
- Hawkers should not be evicted: Mahasweta Devi - May 16, 2012
- Guns give way to Puja revelry in Maoist belt - Oct 04, 2011
- Two persons drown in Ichamati river - Oct 07, 2011
- Thousands hit the roads as Durga Puja begins in Bengal - Oct 02, 2011
- Policeman, officials scuffle at Bengal assembly complex - Mar 24, 2011
- Suspected Maoists torch trucks in Bengal, one injured - Feb 07, 2011
- Grand worship of goddess Durga in Maoist belt - Oct 16, 2010
- Students clash with police in Allahabad, torch vehicles - Apr 27, 2012
- Pranab dons the priest's robe during Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
- Maoists torch CPI-M leaders' houses - Jul 08, 2010
- Marxists face the heat at Durga Puja stalls - Oct 04, 2011
- Maoists kill two CPI-M supporters - Oct 10, 2010
- Maoist posters found in Bengal town - Oct 21, 2010
- Maoists kill seven Forward Bloc leaders, workers in Bengal (Lead) - Dec 17, 2010
- Maoists put up posters protesting Mahato killing - Mar 12, 2011