Three candidates in Pakistan’s presidential raceAugust 30th, 2008 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Aug 30 (Xinhua) Pakistan’s Election Commission Saturday issued the final list of three candidates for the country’s presidential election. The candidates are Asif Ali Zardari, the widower of assassinated former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, Saeed-uz-Zaman Siddiqui, former chief justice of the Supreme Court and Mushahid Hussain Syed, chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee in the senate.
Zardari has been fielded by the Pakistan Peoples Party, Saeed-uz-Zaman Siddiqui by the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif and Mushahid Hussain Syed by Pakistan Muslim League (Quaid-e-Azam).
Polling will be held Sep 6 in the senate and the national assembly (lower house) in Islamabad and in four provincial assemblies.
Members of the senate or the upper house of Pakistan’s parliament, national assembly or the lower house and those of four provincial assemblies will cast their votes in the presidential elections.
Pakistan held its last presidential election Oct 9, 2007 and Pervez Musharraf was re-elected.
The new presidential election was announced after Musharraf’s resignation Aug 18.
- Zardari elected 11th President of Pakistan - Sep 06, 2008
- 62 candidates in Congress fourth list for Uttar Pardesh - Jan 08, 2012
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- PML-N, MQM form alliance against Pakistan government - Jul 06, 2011
- PML-Q sees possibility of understanding with PML-N - Aug 28, 2008
- Asif Ali Zardari elected Pakistan president - Sep 06, 2008
- Pak Prez polls will be a three-way contest - Aug 30, 2008
- After Musharraf's exit, Zardari 'new face of disaster for Pak': Nisar - Mar 14, 2011
- Four seats for non-Muslim seats in Pakistan Senate - Aug 26, 2011
- Pakistan elects senators (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Five in race for Pakistan PM's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Nawaz Sharif re-elected PML-N president - Jul 27, 2011
- Mushahid only Pak presidential candidate to vote - Sep 07, 2008
- Ready to give up presidency: Zardari - Jan 11, 2012
- Zardari elected Pakistan president (Lead) - Sep 06, 2008