Three arrested with rare tortoises in Uttar PradeshDecember 22nd, 2008 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 22 (IANS) As many as 545 rare species of tortoises, all alive, were recovered from three men arrested in Uttar Pradesh’s Kannauj district, the police said Monday.”The three men were arrested today (Monday) along the banks of the Ganga river while they were carrying the tortoises in a Tata Sumo in Manimau town of Kannauj, about 250 km from Lucknow,” police inspector Karna Singh told IANS by telephone.
The arrested men, who are being jointly interrogated by the police and officials of the forest department, have confessed that the tortoises were being taken to Kolkata, he added.
The police inspector said they were routinely smuggling the tortoises over the past five years.
All the tortoises recovered are listed under the Schedule I of the Wildlife Protection Act (WPA), according to forest officials.
- Two poachers held with over 40 tortoises - Jan 10, 2011
- Two poachers held with 900 tortoises - Jan 17, 2011
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- Two poachers held with around 200 tortoises - Jun 09, 2011
- 220 turtles found on Mumbai-bound train - May 21, 2012
- Poachers nabbed with 40 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 10, 2010
- Forest officials rescue 39 smuggled tortoises in Nainital - Feb 13, 2011
- Four arrested with 150 rare tortoises - Jan 26, 2009
- Two poachers held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 16, 2010
- Four held with snakes of endangered species - May 11, 2011
- Three held with peacock carcasses - May 10, 2011
- Four held with cache of firearms - Feb 03, 2011
- Poachers held with 60 tortoises - Jun 16, 2010
- Three held with 400 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 29, 2010
- Three poachers held with tortoises - Sep 07, 2011