Three arrested in Jharkhand for threatening DhoniJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Jan 2 (IANS) Jharkhand police have arrested three people in connection with the extortion demand of Rs.5 million and the threats to Indian cricket team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Dhoni’s family had received a letter Monday, demanding Rs.5 million. The letter bore the name of a gangster Taslim, who claimed to be a close associate of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim. A second letter, received Wednesday, threatened to blow up Dhoni’s house if the demand for the money was not met and if the police were informed about it.
Dhoni met police officials Wednesday, handing over the letters and discussing the security of his family members. He left Ranchi Thursday amid tight security.
Acting on the threat letter, Ranchi police arrested three people Thursday night.
The arrested, identified as Ranjit, Sadiq and Parvez, are being interrogated. The police have also questioned Taslim’s family members to know his whereabouts.
“We are investigating three angles. First, was it really Taslim who wrote the letter, second, could it be the handiwork of any rival gang, and third, is it someone playing a prank,” a police official told IANS.
Ranchi police are also seeking help of the Crime Investigation Department (CID) in the investigations.
According to police, Taslim was a close associate of Surendra Bengali, a dreaded don of Ranchi, who is presently serving a life term in Hazaribagh central jail. Taslim left Ranchi in early 1990s and is said to have joined Dawood’s gang.
Meanwhile, the state government has provided the highest “Z category” security cover to Dhoni and his family following the threats.
- Jharkhand police seek custody of man caught in Orissa for threatening Dhoni - Mar 06, 2009
- No case filed yet on threat to Dhoni's family - Jan 04, 2009
- Man detained for trying to extort from Dhoni's family - Mar 05, 2009
- Threat to Dhoni family: Fan club lodges complaint - Jan 06, 2009
- CJA condemns journalist Dey's murder - Jun 12, 2011
- Pay Rs.5 mn or see house blown up, Dhoni told (Lead) - Dec 31, 2008
- No threat of mafia gang war in Mumbai: R.R. Patil - May 18, 2011
- Three Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - May 17, 2011
- Maximum security for Dhoni after extortion letter - Dec 31, 2008
- Mumbai politicians, activists condemn Mid Day scribe's murder - Jun 11, 2011
- IIT engineer arrested for sending threat mail to PM - Jun 10, 2012
- Compensate slain terror suspect's family, demands Samajwadi Party - Jun 11, 2012
- I met Dawood Ibrahim once: Sanjay Dutt - Aug 15, 2012
- Two sent to custody for aiding Maoist leader - Nov 30, 2011
- Dawood aide Iqbal Mirchi held in London: CBI - Oct 11, 2011