Three arrested in Baby Falak’s case (Lead)February 1st, 2012 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 1 (IANS) Three people have been arrested by the Delhi Police in the case relating to two-year-old battered baby Falak, police said Wednesday. However, it was not clear if any of them were responsible for grievously injuring the baby.
“Sandeep, his wife Pooja and Jitendra Kumar Gupta, the father of the teenage girl Mahi who brought Falak to the hospital have been arrested,” Additional Commissioner of Police (southeast) Ajay Chaudhary told reporters here. Pooja is a sex worker and Sandeep her husband.
Asked about the culprit who inflicted the injuries on the baby, police refused to comment citing that many more people were involved in the case and answering the question might hurt investigations.
According to police, Mahi used to be assaulted at home by Jitendra and she finally ran away in June 2011 and was missing since.
She then came in touch with Pooja who was a sex worker from Kolkata’s red light area Sonagachi and would often visit her father Jitendra at their home.
Pooja then took Mahi to Etah (Uttar Pradesh) and forced her to marry an aged man. Upon refusing, Mahi was repeatedly raped by Pooja’s husband Sandeep.
They later brought her to Delhi and forced her into sex trade in Munirka area of south Delhi. It was here that she met the key accused in the case Raj Kumar Gupta, who married her.
Falak was brought to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Jan 18 with severe head injuries and bite marks all over her face by Mahi who got the baby from her husband Raj Kumar before heading to Mumbai.
He got the baby from Laxmi who after being questioned by police revealed that she in fact got the baby from Munni, the biological mother of Falak who claimed that she and the baby had been abandoned by her husband last year.
- Three arrested in Falak's case as she battles for life (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Falak continues to battle for life, three arrested in case (Roundup) - Feb 02, 2012
- Another woman arrested in baby Falak case (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Baby Falak still critical, another woman held (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Baby Falak still critical, another woman held (Roundup) - Feb 02, 2012
- Was being forced into prostitution, claims Falak's 'mother' - Feb 06, 2012
- Falak case: Two accused have prostitution racket links - Feb 09, 2012
- Battered baby critical, government offers support (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Battered baby battles for life, parents untraceable - Jan 27, 2012
- Falak's sister found in Bihar - Feb 07, 2012
- Battered baby still critical, police hunt for parents (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Battered baby Falak dies of cardiac arrest (Third Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Baby Falak's mother performs her last rites - Mar 16, 2012
- Baby Falak stable for now, but still critical: Doctors - Feb 04, 2012
- We will help battered baby: Dikshit - Jan 27, 2012
Tags: aiims, ajay chaudhary, all india institute of medical sciences, answering the question, biological mother, commissioner of police, delhi police, falak, gupta, head injuries, india institute, jitendra, kolkata, laxmi, mahi, pooja, sex trade, sex worker, sonagachi, south delhi