Threat call to Maharashtra chief ministerSeptember 4th, 2010 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 4 (IANS) An unidentified person called Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan’s bungalow claiming to be a member of the terrorist outfit Al Qaeda, police said Saturday describing it as a “prank call” and that the prankster has been identified.
The person telephoned Chavan’s official residence Friday and asked his whereabouts.
“It was a prank call. We have identified the prankster and will take him into police custody soon,” Mumbai Police Commissioner Sanjeev Dayal told IANS.
“No member of a terrorist outfit will threaten after having named the organisation he works for,” he added.
However, Dayal refused to divulge further details of the call or identify the prankster.
Following intelligence inputs that Pakistan-based terrorists may strike during the festive season, the central government has asked state governments to be alert and take steps to foil all such attempts to disrupt peace.
- Bhatkal brothers behind Varansi blast: Police (Lead) - Dec 08, 2010
- Intelligence Bureau issues terror alert in Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa - Sep 12, 2010
- Adarsh society papers missing, police launch probe (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Tightest ever security for Ganesh immersions Sunday (Lead) - Sep 07, 2011
- Mumbai Police releases sketches of four Lashkar terrorists - Dec 24, 2010
- Security stepped up in Mumbai ahead of New Year's Eve - Dec 29, 2010
- Maharashtra under security blanket before Ayodhya verdict - Sep 30, 2010
- Mumbai attack: US charges four top Pakistani terrorists (Lead) - Apr 26, 2011
- Lashkar module may strike during ICC World Cup, warns Home Ministry - Mar 10, 2011
- Cops probe calls from Iran to plant bombs in Meerut - Jul 18, 2011
- Key remarks by Chidambaram on Mumbai terror attack - Jul 14, 2011
- Security high in sea, air, land for Mumbai grand finale - Mar 31, 2011
- Will look into action against Maharashtra ATS chief: Chavan - Mar 17, 2010
- Varanasi terror e-mails tracked to Navi Mumbai - Dec 08, 2010
- Country put on high alert after Intelligence inputs of terror strikes during festive season - Aug 19, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, ashok, attempts, bungalow, central government, chavan, chief minister, dayal, festive season, intelligence, pakistan, peace, police commissioner, police custody, prank call, prankster, sanjeev, state governments, terrorists, unidentified person