Thrashed, daughter stripped naked, says retired Bengal scientistApril 18th, 2012 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 17 (IANS) Days after a Jadavpur University professor was beaten for circulating ‘defamatory’ cartoons of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, a retired scientist and his daughter Tuesday alleged they were assaulted and molestated. Police said they were investigating.
The duo also accused police of colluding with the assailants.
Aparesh Bhattacharya, 60, and his daughter, residents of Baruipur in South 24 Parganas - 40 km from Kolkata, alleged that on Sunday afternoon, about 30 youth from a nearby club broke into their rented apartment, thrashed them and allegedly stripped her naked.
“They broke open the door and started beating me and my father. They caught hold of us by the hair, dragged and threw us on the road. They stripped me naked and would have raped me if not our maid who took me to a distance and gave a skirt and a top to wear,” said the daughter.
“At 3 p.m. when police came we were sitting on the road in a bleeding condition without any medical attention, money or security. They neither took a complaint nor they took us to a hospital,” she added.
She also alleged that the police did not pay heed to her frantic telephone calls she made during the assault.
“We have a report that Bhattacharya and his daughter have been attacked but no FIR or complaint has been lodged by them,” an officer of Baruipur police station said.
Asked about the incident, South 24 Parganas Superintendent of Police, Praveen Tripathi said: “The Bhattacharya’s came to me and I have instructed the sub-divisional police office to look into the matter.”
- One sent to jail for assaulting Bengal scientist, daughter - Apr 19, 2012
- Woman molested for spurning Trinamool, tries suicide - Apr 18, 2012
- Bengal teacher who dared ex-legislator granted bail - May 10, 2012
- West Bengal teacher strips girl in class - Jun 28, 2012
- Jadavpur professor concerned about his family's security - Apr 14, 2012
- Gold medallist Pinki accused of being male, held for 'rape' (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Norway kids in new family row - May 25, 2012
- Four 'Trinamool workers' held for thrashing professor (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Gold medallist Pinki accused of being male, held for 'rape' (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Kolkata woman who alleged gangrape does volte face - Aug 14, 2012
- Buddhadeb paints town red with roadshow - Apr 10, 2011
- Toongate: Mamata lashes out against professor, calls it cyber crime - May 12, 2012
- Fresh cartoon row: Bengal professor complains to police - Apr 22, 2012
- Pinki undergoes medical test, result Tuesday - Jun 18, 2012
- Toongate: Kolkata continues to protest - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: apartment, assailants, bhattacharya, chief minister, colluding, fir, jadavpur university, mamata banerjee, medical attention, nearby club, police office, police station, praveen, scientist, skirt, sunday afternoon, superintendent, tripathi, university professor, west bengal