Thousands throng Mathura for JanmashtamiAugust 10th, 2012 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Mathura (Uttar Pradesh), Aug 10 (IANS) Thousands poured into Mathura Friday to celebrate Janmashtami in the land of Lord Krishna.
After several years, Janmashtami fell on a rain drenched day, with a cool breeze and dark clouds threatening to unleash more showers. The festival celebrates the birth of Lord Krishna, believed to have taken place some 5,000 years ago in Mathura, located about 135 km south of New Delhi, on a rainy, stormy night.
Mathura adorns a festive look on Janmashtami, with devotees crowding its temples and bylanes.
The water level has gone up in the Yamuna river, adding to the flavour of the festival.
With thousands of devotees thronging Mathura, where the celebrations will begin with gusto in the evening, hotels and dharamshalas are packed, musicologist Acharya T. Jaimini said.
Some temples in Vrindavan and Mathura have already celebrated Janmashtami with special prayers and bathing the idols with milk, curd and honey.
“Everywhere you go, you hear ‘Radhey Radhey’ and ‘Jai Sri Krishan’,” Jaimini added.
The main function is to be held at Mathura’s Sri Krishan Janambhoomi temple.
“Pilgrims prefer to spend the day in Vrindavan where several temples have afternoon pujas. The crowds shift to Mathura in the evening,” said Vrindavan-based Kunj Bihari Sharma.
- Radhastami celebrations in Mathura - Sep 05, 2011
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Joyous mood sweeps Braj bhoomi on Janmashtami - Sep 02, 2010
- Flooded Yamuna brings on Janmashtami fervour in Braj - Sep 01, 2010
- Janmashtami celebrated across India with fervour - Sep 02, 2010
- As Yamuna overflows, Vrindavan celebrates Pulin Utsav - Sep 25, 2010
- Where Holi goes on for 50 days - Mar 07, 2012
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Intro Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Millions throng Goverdhan for annual pilgrimage - Jul 15, 2011
- A riot of colours in Vrindavan - Mar 08, 2012
- Holi revelry picks up momentum in Braj area (With Image) - Mar 15, 2011
- Taj sparkles as Yamuna flows full - Aug 22, 2011
- Delhi revels in the spirit of Janmashtami - Aug 22, 2011
- Devotees flood Vrindavan, Mathura on New Year day - Jan 02, 2011
- Janmashtami celebrations begin in Delhi with gaiety - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: birth of lord krishna, cool breeze, crowds, dark clouds, devotees, flavour, gusto, jai, jaimini, krishan, milk curd, mj, New Delhi, pilgrims, stormy night, temples, uttar pradesh, vrindavan, water level, yamuna river