Thousands rendered homeless by floods in BiharAugust 20th, 2008 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 20 (IANS) Thousands of people were rendered homeless in Bihar by floods triggered by heavy rains and breaches in barrages and embankments, official sources said Wednesday. A day after a breach developed in the Kosi barrage upstream in neighbouring Nepal, the flood situation worsened Wednesday in some bordering districts of Bihar. The state government had already sounded red alert in districts that are considered to be flood prone.
“Floodwaters entered several villages in Forbesganj in Araria, Purnea and Supaul districts Wednesday,” official sources said.
A breach developed Tuesday in the Khairpur embankment in Bhagalpur that forced hundreds of people to flee, they added.
Taking serious note of the flood situation, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Wednesday reviewed the flood situation with top officials.
Nitish Kumar directed the officials to step up relief and rescue efforts in affected districts.
According to official sources in the state’s Disaster Management Department, flood situation is grim in 802 villages in 11 districts - Muzaffarapur, Supaul, Saharsa, Madhepura, Katihar, Araria, West Champaran, Khagaria, Sitamarhi, Patna and Nalanda.
Major rivers, including the Ganga, Punpun, Ghaghra, Burhigandak, Bagmati, Kosi and Mahananda, were flowing above the danger mark at several places.
- Air Force choppers drop relief material in flood-hit Bihar - Aug 21, 2008
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Four years later, Kosi flood victims fight for survival - Aug 20, 2012
- Flood situation grim in Bihar - Sep 27, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- MPs, ministers face fury of Bihar flood victims - Aug 24, 2008
- People flee homes as floodwaters enter 200 Bihar villages - Aug 25, 2010