Thousands rally against US in IslamabadFebruary 20th, 2012 - 11:55 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 20 (IANS) Thousands of people Monday rallied here to protest against US drone attacks in the country’s tribal regions and the government’s decision to restore supply lines for NATO troops in Afghanistan.
Political and religious leaders lashed out at the US and held it responsible for instability in the region and terrorism in Pakistan, Xinhua reported.
They asked the government to quit the US-led coalition and to form an independent foreign policy free of American influence.
“Joining the US coalition against the so-called terrorism has promoted terrorism,” chief of the Jamaat-e-Islami party Syed Munawar Hsasin told the crowd at Aabpara Chowk, a busy marketplace in the heart of the capital.
The rally was organized by Pakistan Defence Council (PDC), an amalgamation of nearly 40 religious and political groups.
Several banned radical groups are also part of the PDC.
Riot police were deployed to prevent the protestors from moving towards the parliament. No violence was reported.
- Thousands protest Pakistan's reopening of NATO supply route - Jul 17, 2012
- Pak Islamist parties manipulating public events to suit desired outcomes: Writer - Mar 12, 2011
- Egyptian revolution will deeply impact other Middle-East nations: Jamaat-e-Islami chief - Feb 21, 2011
- WikiLeaks exposed true faces of Pak military, political leadership: Jamaat-e-Islami - Dec 06, 2010
- Imran threatens to obstruct NATO supplies if Pak Govt doesn't stop US drone campaign - Mar 26, 2011
- RAW, MOSAD fuelling sectarian violence in Pakistan: former JI chief - Jul 05, 2010
- JuD comes out in open, pressurizing victims' family in Raymond Davis case - Feb 22, 2011
- Pakistanis protest reopening of NATO supply lines - Jul 08, 2012
- Pak protestors shout "hang Davis" over double murder charges - Feb 12, 2011
- Jamaat-e-Islami asks Pak Govt to shoot down unmanned US drones - Jan 09, 2010
- Zardari has sold Pakistan's independence, sovereignty to US: Jamaat-e-Islami - Mar 24, 2011
- US promoting India, using Pakistan as a 'war on terror' tool: Former JI chief - Nov 14, 2010
- Pakistan cleric offers reward to kill Christian woman - Dec 04, 2010
- Growing India-US ties threat to Pak solidarity: Jamaat-e-Islami - Nov 11, 2010
- 'NRO backed' Government must bring Musharraf back for trial : JI - Aug 20, 2009