Thousands pay tearful farewell to nine children killed in KeralaDecember 5th, 2008 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Irikkur (Kerala), Dec 5 (IANS) Thousands of people broke down Friday as they paid homage to nine children run over by a speeding van as they were returning home from school. The nine, students of the Irikkur Sree Narayana Primary School at Irikkur, 50 km from Kannur, were returning from school when a van ploughed into them, killing eight at the spot while a girl breathed her last at a hospital.
The dead include eight girls and a boy. More than a dozen were injured and are admitted in various hospitals.
Chief Minister V.S.Achuthanandan, Leader of Opposition Oommen Chandy and other ministers visited the school placed wreaths on their bodies that were kept for the public homage.
Achuthanandan later announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs.500,000 each to the families of the dead and Rs 50,000 plus free treatment to the injured.
- Eight schoolchildren die in Kerala accident - Dec 04, 2008
- 16 die in Uttar Pradesh bus tragedy (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Toll in Kerala tanker explosion rises to 14 - Sep 01, 2012
- Walk out in Kerala assembly over boat tragedies - Mar 05, 2012
- 1 killed, many injured as LPG tanker explodes - Aug 28, 2012
- Kerala to adopt Narayana Guru's philosophy in education - Jan 31, 2012
- Kerala accords state funeral to two AMRI nurses - Dec 12, 2011
- Sukumar Azhikode: A man of the masses (Obituary) - Jan 24, 2012
- CPI-M not involved in former leader's murder: Achuthanandan - May 07, 2012
- Three kids die as van falls into canal - Sep 26, 2011
- LPG tanker explosion kills two (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Four school kids killed in China accident - Dec 25, 2011
- Kerala assembly stalled, opposition demands IUML member's arrest - Jun 12, 2012
- Repolling likely in 33 booths in Manipur - Jan 31, 2012
- Tension within the ranks haunt UDF and LDF too (Kerala Newsletter) - Aug 17, 2012