Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefullyAugust 31st, 2011 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 31 (IANS) Thousands of Muslims Wednesday offered prayers in the Kashmir Valley amid tight security on the festival of Eid-ul-Fitr which was marred by protests and clashes last year.
Wearing new clothes, they greeted each other at various Eidgahs here where special arrangements had been made by the authorities to facilitate the Eid prayers.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah offered prayers in Sonawar area of the city while separatist leader and chairman of the moderate Hurriyat group, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, offered prayers at the Eidgah grounds in the Old City.
Muhammad Yasin Malik, chairman of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation front (JKLF) offered prayers at the Polo grounds in this Jammu and Kashmir summer capital.
Hardliner Syed Ali Geelani offered prayers in his north Kashmir Sopore hometown.
Large Eid gatherings were seen at the Hazratbal Shrine, Eidgah grounds, Polo grounds and some other places.
Security forces, including the local police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), were deployed in sufficient strength to ensure smooth conduct of Eid prayers in the city.
“No untoward incident has been reported from anywhere in the valley. Eid-ul-Fitr prayers were held with religious fervour across the Valley,” a police officer said.
Massive violence and arson had rocked Srinagar last year when hundreds of unruly protesters gathered in city centre Lal Chowk. The protesters set ablaze many government offices and fought pitched battles with the security forces the entire day, marring Eid festivities.
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Thousands offer Eid prayers amid sporadic violence in Kashmir - Nov 17, 2010
- Protests erupt in Srinagar after Eid prayers - Sep 11, 2010
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Sporadic post-Eid prayer clashes in Kashmir - Aug 31, 2011
- Kashmiri separatist leaders placed under house arrest - Aug 20, 2012
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Kashmir celebrates Eid with prayer for peace - Sep 21, 2009
- Eid celebrated in Karnataka amid tight security - Aug 20, 2012
- India celebrates Eid -- from Kashmir to down south (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Aug 31, 2011
- Kashmir burns on Eid, Omar slams separatists (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2010
- Street protests, violence after Eid prayers in Kashmir (Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- JKLF members clash with police in Srinagar - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: crpf, eid prayers, eid ul fitr, farooq, geelani, jammu and kashmir, kashmir chief minister, kashmir valley, liberation front, muhammad yasin, north kashmir, pitched battles, polo grounds, religious fervour, reserve police, separatist leader, smooth conduct, tight security, untoward incident, yasin malik