Thousands of Hindus offer prayers to the sun in OrissaFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 12:51 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 2 (IANS) Nearly half a million Hindu devotees Monday took a holy dip in a pond in Orissa’s temple town of Konark and offered prayers to the sun in the belief that they would be cured of all diseases.”About 500,000 Hindus took bath at sunrise at the pond near the Konark temple. Nearly 1,000 policemen were deployed at the site,” said police officer Sanatana Panigrahi.
Konark is about 65 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
According to legend, Hindu god Krishna’s son Shamba was cured of leprosy after a holy dip at the site of the Chandrabhaga river on the seventh day of the bright half of Hindu month of Magha that falls in the Christian calendar months of January-February.
The place where Shambha is said to have meditated and worshiped the sun god after bathing in the river for 12 years has become a sacred spot and devotees believe it has curative properties.
Today, the river no longer exists. What is left could be described either as a large pond or a very small lake where every year devotees take bath and worship the sun.
- Four lakh people take holy dip in Konark - Feb 10, 2011
- 500,000 take ritual dip in Konark - Jan 30, 2012
- Makar Sankranti in Odisha with holy dips, kite flying - Jan 15, 2012
- Thousands bathe in sea on Magha Saptami - Jan 22, 2010
- Kites, feasts, dancing mark Makar Sankranti celebrations (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Devotees celebrate Kartik Purnima across India - Nov 21, 2010
- As Chhath ends, Hindu-Muslim amity shines through - Nov 02, 2011
- On Kartik Purnima, thousands take holy dip - Nov 10, 2011
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Devotees take holy dip in river Ganges on Magh Purnima - Jan 30, 2010
- Thousands pray to setting sun to mark Chhath - Nov 01, 2011
- Court notice to ASI, Orissa government on Konark temple - Dec 03, 2009
- Devotees take holy dip in rivers across Uttar Pradesh on first day of Navratri - Oct 08, 2010
- Three lakh take holy dip at Gangasagar, cold kills two (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Millions take holy dip in Ganges during solar eclipse - Jan 15, 2010