Thousands of devotees throng Himachal templesSeptember 28th, 2011 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 28 (IANS) Thousands of devotees Wednesday thronged prominent temples in Himachal Pradesh to mark the onset of the nine-day long Navratra festival, the holy period of Hindus.
“Special arrangements have been made for the devotees. More than 50,000 people are expected to pay obeisance at the Naina Devi shrine every day,” Bilaspur Deputy Commissioner Ritesh Chauhan told IANS.
Security was beefed up and Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras were installed to monitor the crowd, he said.
The popular shrine of Chintpurni in Una district, Baba Balak Nath in Hamirpur district, Jwalaji, Chamunda Devi and Brajeshwari Devi in Kangra district and Bhimakali and Hateshwari in Shimla district witnessed a huge rush.
The hilltop Naina Devi temple in Bilaspur district is one of the prominent temples in northern India.
The hill state, also known as ‘land of gods’, has 28 prominent temples, most of which are in Kangra, Una and Bilaspur districts.
The ban on offering coconuts as a precaution against a terrorist attack, would remain effective in all the temples, a senior police officer said.
- Himachal to develop religious tourism - Jul 05, 2011
- Log on, perform prayers online! - Mar 18, 2012
- Devotees throng Himachal temples with onset of Shravan - Jul 20, 2012
- Himachal to turn temple gold into mementoes - Jul 08, 2012
- Himachal temples to melt holy gold - Apr 12, 2011
- Heli-taxi service planned to Himachal temple - Jul 03, 2012
- Bill moved to manage gold donated in Himachal temples - Apr 09, 2010
- Himachal temples have nearly Rs.1 bn in cash - Apr 08, 2011
- Himachal temples allowed to sell gold, silver - Apr 13, 2010
- Prayers in Himachal temples for India's victory - Apr 02, 2011
- Eight pilgrims killed in Himachal (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Eight pilgrims killed in Himachal accident - Jul 15, 2012
- Security up in major Himachal temples - Mar 01, 2010
- Hindus chant to Muslim beats in Himachal temples - Oct 03, 2010
- Ropeway to link Sikh, Hindu temple towns in Punjab, Himachal - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: baba balak nath, balak, cctv cameras, chamunda, circuit television, coconuts, deputy commissioner, devotees, hamirpur district, hilltop, hindus, holy period, kangra district, naina devi, northern india, obeisance, precaution, ritesh, temples, terrorist attack