Thousands of devotees in Puttaparthi, massive security forApril 26th, 2011 - 12:52 pm ICT by IANS
Puttaparthi (Andhra Pradesh), April 26 (IANS) Thousands of devotees continued to pour in here Tuesday for a “last darshan” of spiritual leader Sathya Sai Baba who died two days ago. A massive blanket of security has been thrown around the town as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi are among those expected to come.
With a few hours to go before Sathya Sai Central Trust closes the gates of Prashanti Nilayam for mourners, this pilgrim town is teeming with devotees coming from different parts of Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and other parts of the country.
The district administration has already announced that devotees will be allowed to have a “last darshan” only till 6 p.m. Tuesday.
Besides Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi will also be visiting the town Tuesday.
Former prime minister H.D. Deve Gowda, Karnataka Governor H.R. Bharadwaj, and former Karnataka chief minister H.D. Kumaraswamy were among key devotees who paid their last respects since Monday night.
Anantapur district collector Janardhan Reddy said those standing in the queues at 6 p.m. will be allowed to pay their last respects. He appealed to devotees not to reach Puttaparthi from Tuesday evening till Wednesday afternoon.
The last rites of Sathya Sai Baba will be performed with full state honours between 9 a.m. and 10.30 a.m. Wednesday. He will be buried in Sai Kulwant Hall of Prashanti Nilayam, where his body has been kept since Sunday evening.
The district collector said the devotees would be allowed at the “samadhi” of Baba from Wednesday afternoon.
Andhra Pradesh Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan and Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy, who are reaching the town later in the day, will attend the last rites.
- Thousands pay homage as Puttaparthi readies for Baba's last rites (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2011
- Sai Baba's last rites Wednesday with state honours - Apr 24, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba's last rites begin - Apr 27, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba's body to be kept for two days - Apr 24, 2011
- Thousands pay last respects to Sai Baba (Roundup) - Apr 25, 2011
- Devotees begin last 'darshan' of Sai Baba - Apr 24, 2011
- PM, Sonia Gandhi to visit Puttaparthi Tuesday - Apr 25, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba passes away, millions in grief (Intro Roundup) - Apr 25, 2011
- PM, Sonia Gandhi to visit Puttaparthi tomorrow - Apr 25, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba passes away, leaving millions to grieve (Roundup) - Apr 24, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba laid to rest, thousands bid farewell (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Devotees bid tearful adieu to Sai Baba - Apr 27, 2011
- Sai Baba's birth anniversary celebrations begin - Nov 18, 2011
- Sathya Sai Baba's last rites being performed in Puttaparthi - Apr 27, 2011
- Trust decides to open Sathya Sai Baba's personal chamber - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: anantapur district, bharadwaj, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, central trust, congress chief, deve gowda, former prime minister, janardhan reddy, karnataka chief minister, kiran kumar, kumaraswamy, l k advani, last respects, manmohan singh, narendra modi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sonia gandhi, state honours