Thousands join funeral of slain Kashmiri religious leaderApril 8th, 2011 - 11:37 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 8 (IANS) Thousands of mourners joined the ‘Nimaz-e-Jinaza’ (funeral prayers) of Kashmiri religious leader Maulana Showkat Ahmad Shah, who was killed in a powerful blast outside a mosque in summer capital Srinagar just before the Friday prayers.
Thousands of mourners offered the ‘Nimaz-e-Jinaza’ in city centre Lal Chowk. They were led by senior separatist leaders, including Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, chairman of the moderate Hurriyat group, Muhammad Yasin Malik, chairman of the pro-azadi Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), Professor Abdul Gani Bhat, former chairman of the moderate Hurriyat, Bilal Gani Lone, chief of Peoples’ Conference and executive member of Mirwaiz Hurriyat, and Nayeem Khan, chief of separatist Democratic Front.
The body of the slain religious leader was then taken to his home in Lal Bazar locality of the city where other family members joined the funeral procession to the martyrs’ graveyard where Showkat Ahmad Shah was laid to rest amid shouting of pro-freedom slogans by the mourners.
- Kashmir cleric opposing stone throwing killed in blast (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2011
- Religious leader killed in Srinagar blast, city shuts down (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Kashmir Jamiat-e-Ahlihadith movement has grown - a profile - Apr 08, 2011
- Top Kashmiri separatist leaders refuse security offer (Lead) - Apr 10, 2011
- Moderate Hurriyat issues notice to three leaders - Jun 01, 2012
- Kashmiri separatist leaders offered security cover - Apr 10, 2011
- Maulana opposed to stone throwing killed in Srinagar (Third Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Chinks in Mirwaiz-led Hurriyat Conference? - May 07, 2012
- Clash at Hurriyat seminar in Kashmir - May 20, 2012
- Osama's burial at sea offended Muslim sensibility: Geelani (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Srinagar shuts to protest religious leader's killing - Apr 09, 2011
- People anguished at Maulana Showkat's murder: Mirwaiz - Apr 22, 2011
- Parliamentarians, civil society members meet Mirwaiz - Dec 04, 2010
- Who killed Maulana Shaukat Ahmed and why? - Apr 10, 2011
- Kashmir Valley residents despondent, confused after cleric's assassination - Apr 09, 2011
Tags: ahmad shah, azadi, democratic front, executive member, funeral procession, graveyard, hurriyat, jammu, kashmir, lal bazar, liberation front, locality, martyrs, mosque, mourners, muhammad, prayers, religious leader, separatist leaders, slogans