Thousands homeless, 660 dead due to heavy rains in Uttar PradeshAugust 21st, 2008 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 21 (IANS) Thousands have been rendered homeless and at least 660 people have died in the heavy monsoon rains in Uttar Pradesh this year, an official said here Thursday.”Incessant rains, which continue to wreak havoc over the entire state throughout the current monsoon season, have left 660 dead so far. Of these, 41 died in the past two days,” Balwinder Kumar, principal revenue secretary, told IANS.
Most of the deaths have occurred due to the collapsing of houses, largely in the poor rural expanse of the state.
“About 2,500 houses have been completely destroyed, while more than 33,000 have been partially damaged. However, only a few of these are in the cities,” Kumar said.
Heavy rains have also led to the swelling of most rivers, including the mighty Ganga, which is flowing above the danger mark at certain places. Other Himalayan rivers, including the Yamuna, Ghaghra, Rapti and Sarda are also in spate .
“Twenty-one of the state’s 70 districts have been affected by rain and floods, which have left 674 villages marooned,” Kumar said.
Rain and floods had also caused heavy damage to standing crop - the only source of livelihood for a large chunk of the population in the state.
“The government has established several relief camps while special teams have been deployed for evacuation of marooned people. Some monetary ex-gratia relief is also being provided to those whose houses have collapsed as well as to those who have suffered loss of crop or cattle,” Kumar said.
- Seven killed due to rains in Jammu - Aug 06, 2012
- Seven UP rivers in spate - Aug 08, 2012
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Rains abate in Uttarakhand, over 50 dead - Sep 20, 2010
- Nepal on vigil as rains lash 'Bihar's sorrow' Kosi - Jun 30, 2011
- Rain, cloudburst killed 26 in Himachal - Aug 30, 2012
- 17 killed as rains create havoc in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2012
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- UP government distributes relief material to flood affected - Aug 23, 2009
- Rains, floods kill 115 in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2011
- Karunanidhi asks ministers to help in flood relief - Nov 23, 2010
- Rain, floods wreak havoc in Uttar Pradesh, army deployed - Sep 23, 2008
- China warns of floods, rains as millions face misery - Jun 20, 2011