Thousands flee as Gandak breaches embankments (Lead)September 16th, 2010 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Sep 16 (IANS) Thousands of people in Bihar’s Gopalganj district Thursday fled their homes fearing floods as the Gandak river breached its embankments, officials said.
Officials from the state disaster department said after the Gandak river breached its embankments that the fear of floods had created panic among villagers in Gopalganj, about 160 km northwest of Patna.
Earlier, Water Resources Department principal secretary Ajay Nayak told IANS over telephone that the situation was alarming and the breach “may take place anytime now as the crack has widened further”.
WRD engineer-in-chief R. Dayal, who is camping at the site, said that hundreds of labourers, machines and every other resource were being used to protect the embankments.
Officials said an evacuation drive was launched to shift people to safer areas. “More than one lakh people have been evacuated,” an official said.
Meanwhile, the state government rushed National Disaster Response Force teams to Gopalganj and instructed the officials to be ready with boats and other rescue and relief material like tents and polythene sheets.
Officials of the disaster department fear a repeat of the Kosi floods. “Hundreds of villages will be affected by the breach in the embankments in Gopalganj and neighbouring Saran and Siwan districts,” an official said.
In 2008, more than three million people were rendered homeless in Bihar when the Kosi breached its bank upstream in Nepal and changed course. It was said to be the worst flood in Bihar in 50 years.
- Thousands flee as Gandak threatens embankments - Sep 16, 2010
- Rescue, relief intensified after Bihar river breach - Sep 17, 2010
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Gandak recedes in Bihar, but thousands still marooned - Sep 22, 2010
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Flood situation grim in Bihar, thousands affected - Sep 20, 2010
- 10 Bihar villages flooded as Gandak river overflows - Sep 19, 2010
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Flood situation grim in Bihar - Sep 27, 2011
- Fear of floods haunts Bihar - Jul 13, 2010
Tags: ajay nayak, breach, breaches, dayal, disaster response, flood in bihar, floods, national disaster, neighbouring, nepal, polythene sheets, principal secretary, relief material, response force, saran, siwan, state disaster, state government, tents, water resources department