Thousand quintals of wood used in Himachal wintersDecember 30th, 2011 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Dec 30 (IANS) Thousands of quintals of fuel wood is going into flames every year in Himachal Pradesh households and working places to keep the winter chill away. This came to light at a meeting of the Himachal Pradesh State Forest Corporation Ltd presided over by Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal here Thursday.
Dhumal was informed that the corporation has supplied 60,000 quintals of fuel wood to the remote districts of Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti and Pangi areas in Chamba district for this winter.
The government is providing fuel wood to offices as well as to the domestic consumers at highly subsidized rates every winter.
To provide clean energy to the people and employees serving in remote areas, the state government had substituted charcoal with LPG cylinders, kerosene and fuel wood, said a government spokesperson.
The government has installed LPG gas heaters in its administrative offices located across the state.
The entire Lahaul and Spiti, Kinnaur and Pangi are populated mainly by tribals. The climatic conditions of these districts are harsh and the land forms part of a cold desert where the mercury drops to below minus 20 degrees Celsius during winter.
- Over 200 tourists rescued in Himachal - Jan 04, 2012
- Depleting water sources in Himachal worry locals - Jun 05, 2012
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- More snow, Shimla records season's lowest temperature - Jan 09, 2012
- Protect Chenab river from onslaught, say Himachal villagers - Jan 30, 2012
- Snow, rain continue in Himachal - Feb 14, 2012
- Himachal opens Lahaul, Spiti waters for rafting - Sep 24, 2011
- Tourists rescued from Himachal hills - Jan 05, 2012
- Dhumal's chopper to serve snowbound areas - Nov 28, 2010
- Development of tribal areas top priority: Dhumal - Sep 09, 2012
- Severe cold in Himachal, snowfall disrupts flights (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Kolkata tourists rescued in Himachal - Jan 02, 2011
- Marooned in November snow in Himachal's Lahaul valley - Nov 16, 2009
- Helicopter offers the only lifeline in upper Himachal - Jan 15, 2011
- Fresh snow in Himachal - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: administrative offices, celsius, charcoal, chief minister, clean energy, climatic conditions, cold desert, corporation ltd, domestic consumers, flames, fuel wood, gas heaters, government spokesperson, households, kerosene, lpg cylinders, quintals, state forest, state government, winter chill