Thorpe’s Olympics bid fails at Australian trialsMarch 18th, 2012 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Canberra, March 18 (IANS) Swimmer Ian Thorpe lost his chance of qualifying for the 2012 London Olympics as he failed to make the semifinals of the 100m freestyle at Australia’s selection trials Sunday.
The five-time Olympic champion, who quit competitive swimming in 2006 and only returned to pool late last year, ranked 21st in the 100m freestyle with a time of 50.35 seconds.
Only the top 16 advance to the semifinals, and world champion James Magnussen led the qualifiers with a time of 48.26.
Earlier, Thorpe failed to reach the final of the 200m freestyle, which was considered his best chance of qualifying for London 2012, finishing 12th out of the 16 semi-finalists.
Thorpe needed to finish first or second in the 100 or 200m to earn individual selection for the London Olympics, or place in the top six in either event to be considered for a selection as a relay swimmer.
Thorpe won five Olympic gold medals, 11 world championships and set13 world records after bursting onto the scene in 1999.
He was the most globally recognized swimmer until American Michael Phelps emerged.
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- South African swimmer Townsend misses Olympic qualification - Apr 19, 2012
- Gagan sole Indian representative in swimming at London - Jul 07, 2012
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011
- Swimmer Thorpe claims he can perform faster than before - Mar 30, 2011
- Hoogenband says 'special athlete' Thorpe can win another gold in London - Feb 08, 2011
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Indian swimmers win gold, not Olympic berth - Jul 06, 2011
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: 100m freestyle, 200m freestyle, 2012 london olympics, australia, canberra, competitive swimming, ian thorpe, london 2012, magnussen, michael phelps, olympic champion, olympic gold medals, olympics, selection trials, semi finalists, swimmer thorpe, world champion, world championships