This is absolutely thrilling: Hockey legend ClaudiusFebruary 27th, 2012 - 12:55 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 26 (IANS) Hockey legend Leslie Claudius Sunday congratulated the Indian team for making the cut for the London Olympics and hoped that the players would be able to bring back the nation’s days of glory in the sport.
“This is absolutely thrilling,” exclaimed the 84 year old Olympian, who holds the distinction of being part of three gold medal and one silver winning Indian teams at the quadrennial events.
Claudius, who has not been keeping well and was released from hospital only a couple of days back, watched the entire match notwithstanding objections from his family members as India returned to the Olympics after a gap of eight years.
He was effusive in his praise of drag flicker Sandeep Singh, who struck five goals including a hat-trick as India trounced France 8-1 to book a ticket for the upcoming London Olympics.
“Sandeep Singh played exceptionally well. He carried the Indian team on his back. It is due to him we have come up with such a performance,” Claudius told IANS.
“I certainly hope Michael Michael Nobb and his players do well in London and bring back the past glory we had in the sport,” said Caludius, who was part of the gold medal winning Indian Olympic teams in London (1948), Helsinki (1952) and Melbourne (1956) besides captaining the nation to a silver medal finish in Rome (1960).
- Hockey India to pursue Leslie's quest for lost gold medals - Jul 24, 2012
- 1948 hockey trio backs India to do well in London - Jun 24, 2012
- Hockey Olympic gold medallists to get cash awards - Jun 15, 2012
- Players' obsession is only to win: Hockey coach Michael Nobbs - Jun 17, 2012
- Olympic Hockey: Tough opener for India (Preview) - Jul 29, 2012
- First target to make Olympic semis: Hockey captain Chettri - Jun 19, 2012
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- India's men's and women's hockey teams chasing Olympic dream - Feb 17, 2012
- We taught the world how to play hockey: Leslie Claudius (Lead, Interview) - Apr 14, 2012
- Play Indian-style attacking hockey: Vasudevan Baskaran (Interview) - Jul 23, 2012
- I don't have a fixed starting XI: Nobbs - Feb 16, 2012
- Hockey coach Nobbs asks India to be as ruthless as Australia - Feb 10, 2012
- Hockey Olympic qualifier: Final can be tight, but India should win (Preview) - Feb 26, 2012
- Hockey legend Leslie Claudius honoured - Aug 02, 2011
- Nobbs: Selection on form and fitness - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: couple of days, days of glory, distinction, entire match, family members, flicker, gap, gold medal, hat trick, helsinki 1952, hockey legend, kolkata, london olympics, melbourne 1956, objections, olympic teams, olympics, quadrennial events, sandeep singh, silver medal