This Iranian woman wants her Indian nationality!May 14th, 2011 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 14 (IANS) Carrying a birth certificate in her hand and a hassled look on her face, 30-year-old Iranian woman Fatimah Begum is on her third visit to the country to claim Indian nationality, which she believes is her “birth right”.
Begum, who was born at Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) here in 1980, has come all the way from Iran on a tourist visa.
“I was born here on July 30, 1980, and also have a birth certificate issued by the PGIMER. I have an Iranian passport, but my birth place is written India over it. Indian nationality is my birth right as per the Citizenship of India Act 1955, and I desperately want to have it,” Fatimah told IANS.
Fatimah’s parents had come to Chandigarh on a study visa in 1976 and they returned in 1983. She said that she wants to settle in Chandigarh and study journalism.
“This is my third visit to India. Initially, I approached the ministry of home affairs in Delhi and they told me to first procure documents regarding my birth from Chandigarh administration. I had tried to meet Chandigarh deputy commissioner several times, but he has no time to meet me,” said Fatimah.
Fatimah, who is a freelance writer with various magazines in Iran, is being helped by NGO International Human Rights Organisation (IHRO).
“We have submitted our file at the deputy commissioner’s office. But Chandigarh administration is not taking this case seriously,” said Jaspreet Singh Sidhu, president of IHRO’s Chandigarh unit.
However, officials of the Chandigarh administration refuted these allegations.
“These allegations are baseless and wrong as she never applied for issuance of the certificate in question,” said Chandigarh Deputy Commissioner Brijendra Singh.
“My office has only received an application from IHRO in which they have only asked to help the applicant. They have not mentioned anything else,” he added.
- Fatwas outrageous, laugh for sanity: Iranian writer (Interview) - Jan 23, 2012
- Baby dies in womb due to wrong blood group transfusion - Dec 18, 2010
- Britain to open deputy high commission in Chandigarh - May 23, 2012
- Police deny woman died due to security rehearsal - Feb 05, 2011
- US seeks EU sanctions to force Iran back into talks - Jan 21, 2012
- 3 labourers killed in wall collapse - Mar 31, 2011
- People cheer as Bihar goes online with public services - Dec 01, 2011
- Nepal's president gets nostalgic during visit to alma mater - Feb 04, 2011
- Mary Kom rushes to Chandigarh to be with ailing son - May 11, 2011
- Magsaysay laureate Neelima Mishra denied US visa - Sep 30, 2011
- Magsaysay winner Neelima Mishra granted US visa - Oct 03, 2011
- N-weapons proliferation a big problem: Hillary - May 07, 2012
- Canada condemns Iran for planning Iranian woman's execution - Nov 03, 2010
- No TB test for visitor visa: Britain - May 23, 2012
- Indian High Commission to probe Naipaul PIO card row - Jul 05, 2010