Thirteen die after drinking poisonous liquor in Kolkata (Lead)January 4th, 2009 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 4 (IANS) At least 13 people died and 25 others fell sick after consuming poisonous country made liquor here, the police said Sunday.”Three persons died late Saturday night and 10 others have died till Sunday evening after consuming poisonous country-made liquor at West Port area near Khidderpore in south-west Kolkata. At least 25 people have been admitted to three city hospitals in critical condition,” Deputy Commissioner (detective department) Jawed Shamim told reporters Sunday evening.
According to police sources, there are over 20 illegal country liquor shops in the area.
The police raided the shops Sunday afternoon.
“We have raided the shops and collected liquor samples to detect the exact nature of poison in them. All bodies will be sent for post-mortem examination. An investigation has started and right action will be taken against the culprits,” Shamim said.
Earlier, Special Additional Police Commissioner (armed police) Debasis Roy said seven people, including three women, have been detained for selling poisonous country-made liquor.
According to police sources, many slum dwellers in the area are addicted to drinking and they get the liquor from the local shops.
But the men who bought and drank the country-made liquor Saturday night fell sick immediately. While some died after acute stomach ache and blood vomit, many were admitted to nearby hospitals in critical condition.
West Bengal’s principal opposition Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee visited the area in the evening to console the family members of the deceased and the sick.
- Thirteen die in hooch tragedy in Kolkata, Mamata for judicial probe (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2009
- Six die after drinking poisonous hooch in Kolkata - Jan 04, 2009
- Toll in Kolkata spurious liquor tragedy rises to 19 - Jan 05, 2009
- Hooch kills 17 in Andhra (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Kolkata hooch tragedy death toll rises to 27 - Jan 06, 2009
- Bihar's hooch tragedy toll rises to 11 - Feb 21, 2011
- 13 held for selling illicit liquor in Bihar - Feb 20, 2011
- Toll in Kolkata liquor tragedy rises to 23, six arrested (Lead) - Jan 05, 2009
- 13 held for hooch tragedy in Bihar - Feb 20, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Toll in Andhra hooch tragedy mounts to 15 (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Moonshine kills six in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 03, 2010
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 - Dec 15, 2011