Third WTC tower fell due to 9/11 fire: ReportAugust 23rd, 2008 - 5:31 am ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 23 (DPA) A third tower at the World Trade Centre site collapsed due to a fire, not explosives, on the afternoon of Sep 11, 2001, a news report said Friday.The 47-storey tower tumbled seven hours after the centre’s twin towers were attacked by terrorists. No one died as the approximately 4,000 officer workers had been evacuated.
An investigation by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), based in Maryland, has revealed that tower 7 collapsed after fires ravaged floor beams and a structural column, the New York Times reported.
At the time, tower 7 housed branch offices of the Central Intelligence Agency, the Secret Service and the New York mayor’s emergency operations centre.
It was located 400 feet north of the twin towers. NIST used photographs, building design documents and videos to create a computer model of the tower and find out what triggered its collapse.
There has been much speculation about the collapse of tower 7, after the World Trade Centre’s 110-storey twin towers were destroyed by terrorist attacks that killed more than 2,700 people.
The theories ranged from an insider planting explosives to blast the third tower to the presence of diesel tanks installed to power generators.
“Our take-home message today is the reason for the collapse of World Trade Centre 7 is no mystery. It did not collapse from explosives or fuel oil fires,” lead investigator B. Shyam Sunder was quoted as saying.
NIST’s 915-page report was released after three years of study by more than 50 federal investigators.
Many dismissed the investigation as seriously flawed. “How much longer do we have to endure the cover-up of how building 7 was destroyed?” the paper quoted Richard Gage, leader of a group called Architects for 9/11 Truth, as saying.
- New York governor revives land swap offer for mosque - Sep 10, 2010
- Empire State Building to get rival skyscraper in New York - Aug 26, 2010
- Politicians take backseat as US remembers 9/11 victims (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Hollywood star Kirk Douglas urges Muslims to speak out, condemn 9/11 attackers - Aug 13, 2010
- US marks 9/11 sans politicians at ground zero - Sep 11, 2012
- Fire, not explosives caused collapse of WTC Building 7 - Sep 06, 2008
- New NYPD Photos 9/11 Show The Collapse Of The World Trade Center - Feb 13, 2010
- Five killed in Delhi building collapse - Jan 04, 2012
- Obama to mark 9/11 at Pentagon - Sep 08, 2010
- South Korea to build twin towers resembling WTC - Dec 14, 2011
- Seven killed in twin Syrian blasts - Apr 05, 2012
- House collapse kills five in Delhi(Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- World's tallest log cabin destroyed in fire - May 07, 2012
- Ground Zero mosque overshadows 9/11 anniversary - Sep 07, 2010
- Fire at World Trade Center in New York - Jun 03, 2012