Third seed Cilic in Chennai Open semisJanuary 9th, 2009 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 9 (IANS) Third seeded Marin Cilic of Croatia shrugged off a wayward second set to beat seventh seed Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia 6-4, 0-6, 6-4 en route to the semi-finals of the $450,000 ATP Chennai Open tennis tournament here Friday.In the semi-finals Saturday, the 27th ranked Cilic will face eighth seeded Marcel Granollers of Spain who came through 7-6, 2-6, 6-4 in two hours against Czech wild card Lukas Dlouhy.
Meanwhile, fifth seeded Rainer Scheuttler needed all his experience to get past fellow-German and doubles partner Bjorn Phau 6-2, 7-5 to qualify for the semi-finals.
The towering Cilic, 20, after winning a tight, 50-minute first set on a break of serve in the third game,however, turned erratic in the second.
With his first serve deserting him, Cilic was at his erratic worst and Tipsarevic made the best of the offerings for three breaks in the second, fourth and sixth games to take the set at 6-0.
Tipsarevic, who stretched Roger Federer to five sets at the 2008 Australian Open, had to contend with a blistered right middle finger and took a medical break in the second set when leading 4-0.
The 24-year-old Tipsarevic showed plenty of courage and court craft to stay in contention with a series of fine winners, often finding the lines with well-angled placements.
The third set went on serve until the ninth game when Cilic broke for a decisive 5-4 lead. The Croatian looked a bit more at ease with himself as he got his serve going.
In fact, Tipsarevic came under increasing pressure as Cilic raised his game. He saved three break points in the fifth before dropping serve in the crucial ninth to lose the match.
Schuettler, the 32-year old Wimbledon semi-finalist and ranked No.33, was in danger of losing the second set that saw the players trading two breaks apiece.
Down 4-5, Schuettler broke the 29-year old Phau to level and then went in front on serve for 6-5. In the 12th, Schuettler came up with some fine returns for yet another break of serve to wrap up the match in 98 minutes.
Reflecting on the match, Schuettler said: “I had a difficult second set when I was down by two breaks. It is difficult to play Phau as we are good friends, play doubles together and in fact, we practiced this morning. But my game improved and I am happy to have won.”
Singles (quarter-finals): Marin Cilic (CRO) bt Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) 6-4, 0-6, 6-4; Rainer Schuettler (GER) bt Bjorn Phau (GER) 6-2, 7-5; Marcel Granollers (ESP) bt Lukas Dlouhy (CZE) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4.
- Tipsarevic survives Nishikori scare - Jan 08, 2011
- Somdev Devvarman storms into semi-finals of Chennai Open - Jan 09, 2009
- Somdev shocks Moya to enter Chennai Open quarters - Jan 08, 2009
- Bhupathi-Bopanna knock out top seeds to make semis - May 19, 2012
- Aircel ATP Tennis: Nishikori eliminates champ Cilic - Jan 03, 2011
- Wawrinka survives Goffin scare - Jan 07, 2011
- Chennai Open singles wrap - Jan 06, 2011
- Chennai Open: Paes, Tipsarevic advance in doubles event - Jan 05, 2012
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek steamroll into US Open semis - Sep 06, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Chennai Open tennis: Berdych, Malisse in semis - Jan 07, 2011
- Roundup: Berdych stuns Federer out of US Open - Sep 06, 2012
- Indians knocked out of Chennai Open singles (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Wawrinka sets up clash with Cilic in Chennai Open final (Lead) - Jan 10, 2010