Third Maoist surrenders in West BengalAugust 31st, 2010 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 31 (IANS) A member of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist active in West Bengal’s West Midnapore district surrendered Tuesday, taking to three the number of Left-wing rebels who have given themselves up to the security forces over the past few days.
Bibhuti Mahato, a member of the Madan Mahato squad of the Maoists, surrendered at the Belpahari police station of Jhagram sub-division. Mahato also handed over to the police a rifle and several rounds of ammunition.
“Bibhuti Mahato has come back to the mainstream. He contacted us seven days back. We told him details of the government’s surrender policy and he agreed to lay down arms,” Jhargram police district superintendent Praveen Tripathy told reporters.
Mahato was an accused in 11 cases, including murder. “Yes there are some cases against him. We will send a report to the Screening and Rehabilitation Officer who is responsible for rehabilitation of the surrendered Maoists. Within 15 days, we will decide and inform Mahato about the rehabilitation benefits he will be getting.”
Hitting out at Maoist rebels, Mahato said the rebels have not been able to fulfil any of the promises they made two years back. “They had promised development of the backward areas, but nothing has happened.
“They also took money from contractors and even teachers, saying the amount will be spent in development work. But instead, they used the funds to buy arms and ammunition,” Mahato said.
Earlier, hardcore Maoist Shobhan Karak alias Bijoy and a woman Maoist squad member Sobha Mandi surrendered after the state government put in place its revamped surrender policy.
- Maoist woman squad member surrenders - Aug 27, 2010
- Are Maoists losing ground in West Bengal? - Dec 30, 2010
- First Maoist surrender in West Bengal - Aug 27, 2010
- Maoist accepts West Bengal offered rehab package - Aug 27, 2010
- Seven Maoists surrender in Bengal (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Woman Maoist surrenders in West Bengal - Nov 16, 2010
- Maoist involved in train hijack sent to police custody - Nov 20, 2011
- Woman Maoist commander surrenders in West Bengal - Aug 28, 2010
- Another Maoist couple surrenders in Bengal - Feb 07, 2012
- Female Maoist complains of torture, surrenders in West Bengal - Nov 17, 2010
- Chhattisgarh Maoists surrender but rarely with weapons - Oct 11, 2010
- Maoists regrouping in Bengal: Police - Jul 05, 2011
- Maoist, arms supplier held in Bengal - Jun 24, 2010
- Four Maoists surrender before Mamata - Jan 12, 2012
- Maoist squad member arrested in West Midnapore - Aug 19, 2010
Tags: alias, ammunition, bijoy, communist party of india, district superintendent, kolkata, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, midnapore district, police district, police station, praveen, rehabilitation benefits, security forces, squad member, surrender policy, surrenders, tripathy, west bengal