Third consecutive blast rocks Lucknow (Lead)November 16th, 2008 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 16 (IANS) Lucknow woke up Sunday to yet another blast on the third consecutive day, causing panic and scare among the residents.Even though this one too was attributed to fire crackers and not any explosive device, it has left two minor girls injured. “However they have sustained only minor injuries and were discharged from the hospital after first aid,” district magistrate Chandra Bhanu told IANS.
The blast took place around 8.30 a.m. Sunday in Bazar Khala locality of old Lucknow.
The two blasts on Saturday and Friday in the local court premises were attributed to mischief mongers, on whom the policemen are trying to zero-in.
“We have reason to believe that today’s blast was an accident as it occurred in a garbage dump while rag-pickers were rummaging through it,” Lucknow Senior Superintendent of Police Akhil Kumar said. He ruled out any terrorist or militant link.
“The incident took place in an area surrounded by fire-cracker dealers. So there is every possibility of a live cracker finding its way into the garbage dump and leading to the blast,” he added.
As for the blasts in the court premises on the two preceding days, he said: “We are planning to get close-circuit cameras installed in the court premises so that a constant vigil can be maintained to nab those indulging in mischief.”
The district court premises in Lucknow witnessed blasts Friday and Saturday which police later attributed to fire-crackers exploded by mischief-mongers. The explosions on both days were in bathrooms within the court premises and occurred around noon.
- Two killed in fire-cracker stockpile blast - Sep 12, 2012
- Firecracker blast causes panic in Bangalore - Sep 09, 2011
- Six arrested for Sivakasi fire tragedy - Sep 06, 2012
- 33 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fourth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Anonymous email threatens to bomb Lucknow station - Sep 26, 2011
- Three killed in fire cracker unit blast in Punjab - Apr 13, 2012
- Four crude bombs found in Lucknow court premises - Aug 09, 2012
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Blast in Assam refinery, ULFA claims responsibility (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- 36 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fifth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Pakistani child killed in firecracker blast - Jun 16, 2012
- Home-made bomb injures five children in India's Kanpur district - Mar 10, 2010
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Third Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Cracker blast at Gorakhnath temple raises security concerns - Sep 26, 2011
- Another low-intensity blast in Lucknow district court (Lead) - Nov 15, 2008