Thieves ransack temple in ChandigarhJanuary 6th, 2009 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 6 (IANS) A gang of robbers struck at a temple in a thickly-populated area of this city in the early hours Tuesday and escaped with gold and silver ornaments, valued at Rs.1.4 million, the police said.”Ten men gained entry inside the temple in Sector 37 by scaling the boundary wall around 4 a.m. Tuesday. They attacked the two guards, who were on duty inside the temple, knocking one of them out. Two of them restrained the other, while the rest looted the premises,” the police official investigating the case told IANS.
According to the police, the thieves took away over 65 kilograms of silver and various gold ornaments, all worth Rs. 1.4 million. They also took away Rs.7,000 in cash from the collection box.
The thieves remained in the temple for over one hour and locked the guards inside a storeroom before fleeing the spot, the official said, adding a case has been registered and investigations are on.
“Everything happened so quickly that I could not even count them. IT was dark all around so I could not see their faces properly. They were speaking in a mixture of Hindi and Punjabi,” Dhan Bahadur, one of the guards told IANS.
- Two arrested for Hyderabad gold robbery - Jun 15, 2011
- Hindu temple burgled in Dhaka - Feb 03, 2011
- Theft at Maharashtra temple, guard killed - Mar 24, 2012
- Muthoot robbery solved, six arrested (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Gold ornaments looted from Maharashtra bank - Feb 21, 2011
- Armed men rob Rs.7.4 lakh in Gurgaon - May 02, 2011
- Robbers break through bank wall, steal Rs.5 mn cash, gold - May 06, 2011
- Jewellery stolen from Hindu temples recovered in Bangladesh - Feb 19, 2011
- Pakistan bank, phone shop robbed - Jul 20, 2012
- Gold ornament stolen from Jain temple - Jun 27, 2010
- Police seize Rs.35 lakh from Sai trust's car - Jun 19, 2011
- Robbers vandalise graves in Goa - Jul 02, 2010
- Dacoits loot Karachi bank of Rs.9.6 mn - Aug 10, 2011
- Silver worth Rs.3.5 crore looted in Mathura - Feb 20, 2012
- Nine lynched in two Karnataka villages - Aug 02, 2011