Thief caught after jumping traffic signal in DelhiMay 28th, 2012 - 1:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 28 (IANS) It began as a routine prosecution for a traffic violation in the national capital Monday but ended up with the arrest of an auto thief, caught while trying to get away with a stolen motorcycle.
“Head constable Budhpal noticed a motorcyclist without helmet jumping a red light at Azadpur crossing today (Monday) morning. Brief chase got him more than a traffic rule violator: a vehicle thief,” posted Satyendra Garg, Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic), on the force’s Facebook page that has over 100,000 followers.
“The motorcycle was stolen today (Monday) morning. Preliminary information shows the thief had spent a year in jail,” he added.
The officer said the head constable would be “rewarded handsomely” as the police would look into “the details of the thief and his previous involvements.”
Delhi Police’s chase and challan squad was set up in 2008 for swift prosecution of errant drivers. The squad fined 15,39,501 people in 2011, while the figure in 2010 was 10,74,865.
- Fatal accidents have come down: Delhi Police - Jan 06, 2012
- Delhi traffic cops' powers curbed - Jun 11, 2011
- Bike thieves pay dearly for not wearing helmets - Dec 21, 2010
- Six people killed in accidents on Holi (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Flipside of Anna's movement: Traffic violations galore - Aug 24, 2011
- 777 people fined for drunk driving - Mar 08, 2012
- 4,000 auto drivers challaned in the capital - Oct 30, 2010
- Delhi Traffic Police chief upset with VIP law breakers - Feb 07, 2011
- Delhi cop robbed of seized bike by traffic violator - Jun 14, 2012
- One for the road gets 388 challaned on New Year Eve - Jan 01, 2011
- Delhi traffic cops to get flashers, blinkers for bikes - Oct 07, 2009
- Around 850 fined for entering Games lanes - Sep 30, 2010
- Nearly 24,000 Delhiites fined for tinted glasses - May 11, 2012
- 486 prosecuted for excess tinted glass on vehicles - Jul 14, 2011
- Low traffic fines no longer a deterrent: Delhi Police - Jan 03, 2012
Tags: chase, commissioner of police, delhi police, facebook, followers, head constable, helmet, monday morning, motorcycle, motorcyclist, New Delhi, police traffic, prosecution, red light, thief, traffic rule, traffic signal, traffic violation