Ther is no time limit but Pakistan must act: Antony

January 2nd, 2009 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, Jan 2 (IANS) More than 30 terror outfits are still active in Pakistan, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said Friday while stressing that there was no change in Islamabad’s attitude after the Mumbai terror attack. “Statements are not important, actions are important. That way, I do not think there is any noticeable change in the act of Pakistan. They (Pakistan) should prove that by action,” Antony told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.

“More than 30 terror outfits are still active in Pakistan. So how can I say that there is a real change in Pakistan’s attitude? … There is no time limit (for Pakistan to act) but it must act,” he said.

Pakistan has come under heavy pressure with the US’ Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) furnishing proof of the involvement of terror outfits functioning from its soil in the brazen Mumbai terror attack Nov 26 last year that left more than 170 dead.

Taking note of the gun battle in Jammu and Kashmir Thursday in which two militants were killed by the army troops, Antony said: “My advice is we have to be ever ready and our armed forces are doing their duty. They are in state of preparedness”.

Pakistan had Tuesday urged India to de-activate its forward air bases and move troops back to their peacetime locations.

“We have not escalated the issue. There is no troop movement from our side. Whatever is taking place is normal. Nobody after 26/11 will tell us that we should not be prepared for any eventuality. They (armed forces) are doing their duty and are not making any provocations,” Antony said, responding to Pakistan’s accusations of troop build-up on the Indian side.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe