‘The Reader’ gives Kate Winslet her first Oscar, for best actressFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 11:48 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Feb 23 (IANS) British actress Kate Winslet won her first best actress Oscar for her performance in “The Reader”, an adaptation of a German novel about a law student’s love affair with an older woman post World War II.
“I’ll be lying if I say that I have not prepared a version of this speech since the time I was eight and in the bathroom and this trophy was a bottle of shampoo. But it’s not a shampoo bottle anymore. I feel very fortunate to have made it from there to here,” Winslet said after receiving the award here Sunday.
Winslet also won the Golden Globe and British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) for best actress for “The Reader”.
She had been earlier nominated for the Oscar six times, including that for her role in “Titanic”, but it was “The Reader” that got her the coveted trophy for the first time.
- Kate Winslet likens her Oscar to mums cooking prize - Feb 25, 2009
- Slumdog Millionaire, Kate Winslet now top Bafta 2009 nominees - Jan 15, 2009
- Octavia Spencer wins best supporting actress - Feb 27, 2012
- 'The Artist' bags maximum Golden Globe gongs (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
- Jean Dujardin, Meryl Streep win best actors - Feb 27, 2012
- Kate Winslets 5yr-old son is her speech writer! - Feb 23, 2009
- 'Winslet's win as supporting actress unfair' - Feb 06, 2009
- Kate Winslet, Peter Dinklage win best actors in TV series - Jan 16, 2012
- Winslet Convinced Wood To Go Nude On TV - Sep 06, 2010
- Bookies betting on how long Colin Firth's Oscar winning speech would be - Feb 26, 2011
- Kate Winslet wants to play a man - Jan 18, 2012
- 'The Artist', 'Hugo' in tie with five Oscars each (Roundup) - Feb 27, 2012
- 'The Artist' wins top honours at BAFTA (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Kate Winslet & Hubby Sam Mendes Split - Mar 16, 2010
- Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes separate after seven-year itch - Mar 16, 2010