The idea for ‘Phoonk’ came from India TV: VarmaAugust 26th, 2008 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 26 (IANS) Director Ram Gopal Varma says the idea of making his recently released horror film “Phoonk” came from the news channel India TV.”The idea to make a film on black magic came from India TV. The channel keeps on showing various programmes on black magic. I watched various programmes on black magic and super natural powers on the channel and approached Azam Khan with the concept. He liked it and the whole script was written,” Varma told reporters here.
Azam Khan’s One More Thought Entertainment has produced the film.
Critics have panned the film, but “Phoonk” reportedly saw a good opening with 70 percent collection. Thanks to pre-release publicity, it has been successful in drawing a considerable chunk of audience in the multiplexes.
Varma celebrated the success of the the film here Monday.
Commenting on the box office yardstick to measure a film’s success, Varma said: “I don’t know what makes a film hit otherwise I wouldn’t have made flops.”
“‘Phoonk’ doesn’t have any big stars, still it is a hit. This shows that concept film is now being accepted in India,” said Varma.
The director said idea or concept based film, which is prevalent in the West, is slowly making its way among the Indian audience and the scenario is soon going to change.
“People in India identify a film by the presence of stars. Star system rules here, but ‘Phoonk’ has proved that even content and idea can give a hit. Content is the king in ‘Phoonk’. ”
Now, with its initial success, the makers are even planning a sequel to “Phoonk” that starred Sudeep, Amrita Khanvilkar, Ahsaas Channa, Ashwini Kalsekar, Kenny Desai, Jyothi Subhash and Zakir Hussain.
“We are planning a sequel to the film which will have a link from the point where it ended. Varma will be directing it and almost the entire cast will be repeated in the sequel titled ‘Phoonk 2′,” said Azam Khan.
- Varma to make 'Phoonk-2' in three languages - Dec 06, 2009
- 'Paathshaala', 'Phoonk 2' fail to cast spell at box office - Apr 19, 2010
- Varma returns to scare audiences with 'Phoonk 2' (IANS Preview) - Apr 12, 2010
- Movie Review: Phoonk 2(2010) - Apr 16, 2010
- 'Phoonk 2' will scare people in a big way: Director - Jan 10, 2010
- "People think ki chalo bhoot aayega aur daraega" - Milind Gadagkar (Director of 'Phoonk 2') - Apr 16, 2010
- Bollywood horror flick ''Phoonk'' all set for release - Aug 21, 2008
- 'Phoonk' star Amruta learns acting from child artiste - Aug 21, 2008
- Phoonk-2 goes trilingual now - Sep 09, 2009
- Ramu's Crow Takes On Shahid Kapoor: "Let's See If People Like My Hero Better Than Shahid Kapoor" - Ram Gopal Varma - Apr 15, 2010
- The shock value in 'Phoonk' is negligible (Film Review) - Aug 25, 2008
- RGV excited about 'Bhoot' sequel 'BHHOOoo' - Jun 14, 2011
- Bollywood gets high on sequels - a la Hollywood - Aug 26, 2010
- Best performance in 'Phoonk 2'? From the crow (IANS Movie Review - Rating: **) - Apr 16, 2010
- Emraan Hashmi done with sequels - Sep 05, 2012