The best of Shammi Kapoor - through his songs!August 14th, 2011 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 14 (IANS) Shammi Kapoor, often referred to as the Indian Elvis Presley by fans, danced his way to success. During his long stint in Bollywood, the veteran who passed away Sunday, got some of the best tracks under his belt.
Going down memory lane, IANS picked up 10 best Shammi Kapoor songs that enthralled audiences over the years and made him one of the greatest stars ever.
“Ehsaan tera hoga mujh par”: The classic number from the 1961 movie “Junglee” is one of the best known romantic songs of Kapoor. Crooned by Mohammad Rafi, whose voice almost became synonymous with the actor during that time. The song was beautifully penned by Hasrat Jaipuri.
“Yahoo - chahe mujhe koi junglee kahe”: Another gem from the same film got attached to Kapoor’s image thereafter. ‘Yahoo’ became a cult word and was then being considered as an extension of the actor’s rebel personality. Sung by Mohammad Rafi and written by Shailendra, this high octave, energetic, foot-tapping song is extremely popular even today.
“Baar baar dekho”: Sung by the actor’s favourite singer Mohammad Rafi, this song from “China Town” (1962) is a light, jazz-oriented, pleasing song. Kapoor’s flirting with his onscreen lady, holding a guitar, is an image that will be remembered for years to come.
“Yeh chand sa roshan chehra”: A signature O.P Nayyar composition, this song sung by Mohammad Rafi in his inimitable style has lyrics by Shailendra. The song, which praises Kapoor’s leading lady Sharmila Tagore’s character, is melodious with easy musical arrangements and honey-tucked feel. It was from the 1964 film “Kashmir Ki Kali”.
“Deewana hua badal”: Another beautiful rendition from the same film by O.P Nayyar. Romance flapped its wings, when Mohammad Rafi went behind the mike to sing this song that is slow, free-flowing and pulls at one’s heartstrings even in this day and age.
“Tumse achha”: This song came out in the 1965 film “Janwar”. With music by Shankar-Jaikishan and lyrics by Hasrat Jaipuri, the song is still one of the favourite love songs among music buffs. The rhythmic song sung by Mohammad Rafi is both fun and romantic owing to its lively composition.
“O Haseena”: “Teesri Manzil”, a phenomenal hit of 1966, presented this electrifying song which was a creation of R.D. Burman and written by Majrooh Sultanpuri. Sung by Mohammad Rafi again, this foot-tapping, cabaret, is one of the most popular retro hits of all times and is thoroughly entertaining. It exuded Kapoor’s style and his charm and was a chartbuster.
“Aaja aaja main hoon”: This song from “Teesri Manzil” was a runaway hit. It grabbed attention and interest owing to Mohammad Rafi’s unique style of rendering the word “Aaja”. A peppy and catchy track, this song added another feather to Kapoor’s already established onscreen flamboyant image.
“Aaj kal tere mere pyar ke”: This evergreen song has fascinated generations. From 1968’s “Brahmachari”, this Shankar-Jaikishan composition is fast-paced and highly enjoyable. Sung by Mohammad Rafi and penned by Shailendra, the track is again a testimony to Kapoor’s rebel attitude and his carefree nature. A fun song that stole hearts.
“Badan pe sitare lapete huye”: An almost seductive number, this song was composed by Shankar-Jaikishan for the film “Prince” in 1969. Although the film was not among the best-known works of Kapoor, the song sung by Mohammad Rafi, was a sounding success and is still famous.
- Shammi Kapoor, tumsa nahin dekha (Obituary, Lead) - Aug 14, 2011
- When Kapoor family recollected Shammi Kapoor's memory - Sep 05, 2011
- Shammi Kapoor was like a mentor to me: Asha Parekh - Aug 17, 2011
- I am incomplete without Rafi: Shammi Kapoor - Aug 01, 2010
- Dad wrote manual for future generations: Shammi Kapoor's son - Aug 18, 2011
- Shammi Kapoor, ever the loveable Bollywood 'junglee' (Obituary) - Aug 14, 2011
- Veteran actor Shammi Kapoor is dead (Second Lead) - Aug 14, 2011
- Kunal Kohli apes late Vijay Anand's style in 'Uff' - Jun 06, 2012
- There will never be another Shammi Kapoor: Yash Chopra - Aug 15, 2011
- Bollywood songs to add to your patriotic fervour - Aug 14, 2010
- Akshay-Aishwarya to do a Rishi-Dimple, Amitabh-Jaya in a Newly Composed Retro Song - May 10, 2010
- Shammi Kapoor: Rocking and rolling down memory aisles (Tribute on his 80th birthday) - Oct 20, 2011
- Shammi Kapoor remembers wife's death during 'Teesri Manzil' - Sep 05, 2010
- All my dancing was extempore: Shammi Kapoor (Interview) - May 20, 2010
- Kareena fit for my role in 'Teesri Manzil' if film remade: Asha Parekh - Sep 05, 2010
Tags: chand, china town, dekho, elvis presley, foot tapping, hoga, holding a guitar, inimitable style, junglee, leading lady, light jazz, lyr, memory lane, mohammad rafi, o p nayyar, romantic songs, roshan, shammi kapoor, shammi kapoor songs, sharmila tagore