Tharoor heads for Oman FridayFebruary 4th, 2010 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 4 (IANS) India and Oman are set to scale up economic and strategic ties when Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor goes on a three-day visit Friday to the Gulf country which is home to over half a million expatriate Indians.
The focus of the visit will be on scaling up economic ties to a new level. An 11-member business delegation will be accompanying Tharoor on this visit.
Tharoor will hold strategic and diplomatic consultations with Sayyid Badr bin Hamad bin Hamood Al Busaidi, secretary general in the ministry of foreign affairs.
He will also call on the foreign minister and defence minister of Oman.
The visit is expected to further strengthen and deepen the strategic relationship to our mutual advantage, the external affairs ministry said here Thursday.
Trade and investment between India and Oman have shown a distinct upswing in the last few years. India is the fifth largest source of imports into Oman. Oman investments in India have exceeded $200 million primarily in refineries, tourism, pharmaceutical industry and home furniture.
In 2008, major Indian companies, independently or in collaboration, bagged contracts worth $836 million.
It’s not just economic engagement that is growing. The two countries decided to step up defence cooperation by upgrading their joint naval exercises during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s visit to Oman in 2008.
- Shashi Tharoor to visit Oman - Feb 04, 2010
- India, Oman sign memorandum on military cooperation - Dec 28, 2011
- India, Oman to boost economic, energy ties - Oct 19, 2010
- Antony to visit Oman to boost defence cooperation - May 14, 2010
- Antony to visit Oman next week - May 14, 2010
- Antony meets Indian diaspora in Omam - May 18, 2010
- Bahrain's crown prince to visit India - May 29, 2012
- India, Bahrain seek trade boost - Jun 01, 2012
- Amid global slowdown, India, Bahrain to scale up investment - May 30, 2012
- Antony visits Oman to boost security ties - May 17, 2010
- Indian assistance to Afghanistan will continue: Antony - May 18, 2010
- India, Oman armies to hold joint military exercise in 2011 - May 18, 2010
- India, Oman discuss maritime security, terrorism - May 18, 2010
- India, Bahrain pledge to boost trade, energy ties - Feb 12, 2010
- India, Bahrain sign tax, IT pacts - May 31, 2012
Tags: bin hamad, business delegation, defence cooperation, defence minister, economic engagement, economic ties, expatriate indians, external affairs ministry, half a million, home furniture, india and oman, manmohan, manmohan singh, member business, minister of state, ministry of foreign affairs, mutual advantage, naval exercises, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh