Thampu qualified to head St. Stephen’s College: Court (Lead)July 3rd, 2012 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 3 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday upheld the appointment of Valson Thampu as the principal of St. Stephen’s College, Delhi, saying he possesses the essential qualification for the post.
Justice Siddharth Mridul said that the court would not interfere with the decision taken by the experts who appointed Thampu.
Former vice-principal M.S. Frank approached the court alleging that Thampu was illegally holding the post of principal and did not have a valid Ph.D. degree which was the minimum qualification.
The court has now dismissed the plea.
“The writ petition does not want any interference. The decision taken by the experts, namely the University Grant Commission and the Delhi University, to the effect that Valson Thampu possesses essential qualification for the post of principal of St. Stephen’s College is a decision which in my view ought to be left to experts rather than courts,” Justice Mridul said.
The Allahabad Agricultural University awarded Thampu a Ph.D. in Theology. But Theology was not taught at Delhi University and the relevance of Thampu’s Ph.D. for the post of principal was not certain, Frank said.
The court said: “This issue stands concluded by the clarification given by the UGC to the effect that the Ph.D. degree awarded by the Allahabad Agricultural University is a valid degree.”
Thampu was appointed principal of the St.Stephen’s college in Delhi Sep 12, 2008.
- Notice to DU, St. Stephen's on principal's appointment - Aug 01, 2012
- St.Stephens, DU's response sought on plea against principal - Oct 20, 2009
- Sandeep Dikshit barred from using St. Stephen's logo (Lead) - Sep 28, 2011
- Sibal backs Unmukt, requests DU to allow him for exam - Aug 31, 2012
- St. Stephen's moves court against Sandeep Dikshit's society - Sep 24, 2011
- Revamped alumni body to boost St Stephen's master plan - Jun 06, 2011
- Quraishi's appointment to St Stephen's governing body upheld - Feb 08, 2010
- Sports minister to bat for Unmukt at Delhi University (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- The questions that Unmukt Chand raised (Comment) - Sep 02, 2012
- Congress MP Sandeep Dikshit in St. Stephen's association soup - Sep 07, 2011
- St Stephen's row: Court pulls up principal - Dec 03, 2009
- Flunked by college, Unmukt finds support in Dhoni - Aug 30, 2012
- Unmukt hopes for an amicable solution with St. Stephen's - Aug 31, 2012
- Court questions Delhi University on Ph.D. admission (Lead) - Sep 14, 2011
- St. Stephen's acting principal resigns - Mar 15, 2008
Tags: allahabad agricultural university, appointment, clarification, delhi high court, delhi university, interference, minimum qualification, mridul, New Delhi, plea, relevance, s college, siddharth, theology, ugc, university grant commission, vice principal, writ petition